HOW CAN I GET MY DAUGHTER TO GO TO BED AT A DECENT HOUR?

NO MATTER HOW HARD I TRY MY DAUGHTER HATES GOING TO BED BEFOR EVERYONE ELSE I TRYED READING BOOKS NO SUGAR DIET I TRYED TO LAY WITH HER TILL SHE GOES TO SLEEP I DONT GIVE HER NAPS DURING THE DAY NOTHING LIKE THAT PLEASE HELP THANK U

CRYSTAL2436

Asked by CRYSTAL2436 at 3:51 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son does that too. i tell him everyone is going to sleep and when he falls asleep i get back up.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:58 PM on May. 21, 2009

• All you do is tell her when it's bedtime, read books or whatever you do at bedtime, and put her in bed. That should be the end of it. If she wants to lay in bed and cry about it, that would be OK as long as she stays in bed. She has to learn that what you say goes and she doesn't have to like it. She needs to know that her obedience isn't debatable. You are the parent, she is the child, period. Consistency is the key.

Anonymous

• I feel your pain! We had this problem up until a few weeks back.

Anyway over the last two months I get my daughter up at 7.30am every morning (she's 3) and she now goes to sleep at around 8.30pm....she is always asleep now by 8.45pm.

I also don't let her nap during the day.

Hope that helps and good luck.
    Sharron_

Answer by Sharron_ at 6:19 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I agree with anon. Be strict, consistant and let her know that it's bedtime, no fighting about it, what you say goes. Make sure she's up before 8am, keep her busy all day, then have a bedtime routine (bath time, potty, brush teeth, wind down/book time, prayers if you do that and then tuck her in, hugs and kisses, close the door and let her go to sleep.) The first week or two may be tough, she may get out of bed and come out, just take her back to bed and tell her that it's bedtime, you need to stay firm with her also, don't give her '5 more minutes' once you put her in bed that's it. You need to let her know you mean business when you say 'bedtime'. If she cries, let her cry for a little while. After about 10 minutes go in, tell her to relax herself, lay her back down and tell her to go to sleep. She'll get the hang of it if you're consistant and firm with it. GL
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 9:19 PM on May. 21, 2009