constantly crying

Almost everyday, from when my little girl wakes up she is screaming her head off. The only time she is not is when i am holding her. It is getting difficult to handle cause i don't get support from my husband. I just can't get anything done or relax without her crying. I was hoping someone could help me out with some advice.

charmd18

Asked by charmd18 at 3:57 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, depends on WHY she is crying. My son cried ALL day whether he was eating or being held or laying down - he had colic, pooping issues but I also after trying all the doc advice and meds, brought him to the chiropractor and found out he had pinched nerves from being in the womb. his colic like crying stopped within 2-1/2 weeks - however - hes only 1-1/2 and just a tough kid - still crys and whines ALOT!!! I think there are just easier and harder kids - I am still trying to figure out how to make this work BUT you DO need support somehow - I couldn't count on my husband when my son was an infant either because our son's crying made him very frusatrated very fast so I aksed for tons of help from my mom and my sister and mil.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:01 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I'm sorry! That's got to be stressful. Could she have colic? On her next doc's visit, bring this issue up. See what they suggest. In the meantime, I recommend that you take a break whether hubby will help or not. First off, I'd sit him down and discuss how his lack of helping is hurting you. If he refuses to help (which seems like grounds for a break-up to me) simply lay your daughter down when the crying gets to be too much. Make sure she's in a safe place, like a crib or playpen. And walk away. Go outside for a few minutes. Get a snack. Anything. SHE needs to learn to self-soothe and YOU need some time to cool off. If your husband offers to help more, simply pass her off to him when things get rough.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 4:00 PM on May. 21, 2009

• If holding her makes her stop crying, then hold her. You can get a baby sling so you can free your arms for other things. She's being needy and clingy, but at her age, it's not to be manipulative. She just needs you. She feels safe and secure in your arms. And isn't that how all of us want to feel?
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 4:01 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I concur with imacafemom - high needs need to be met, and slings have stopped many a sad baby being sad. They are very comfortable for babies, and they bring them close to moms chest, and mom has her hands free.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:07 PM on May. 21, 2009

• On a side note - I agree with the other suggestions, too. All I'm saying is that, in a last ditch effort, don't beat yourself up if you have to put her down & leave the room. Slings and carriers are awesome.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 4:11 PM on May. 21, 2009

• A sling or carrier is a real sanity thing. (I'm a mei tai fan) You might see if you library has Dr. Sear's Fussy Baby Book (or check his web site). Good luck.
    quietside

Answer by quietside at 5:18 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Well my DD was like that for the first 8 weeks of her life. I thought I would lose my mind. I wore her in a sling/wrap thing for a long time and when she was being really dififcult, I'd put her in her crib to CIO for a little bit and she'd usually be calmer afterwards. Is she eating enough? I made sure mine was eating enough and when I found out nothing was wrong with her I was able to put her down more often and just deal with the crying. She's 11 weeks now and doesn't do that anymore (for the most part). It will get better, I promise. I never thought my daughter would let up but around 8 weeks (10lbs) she finally started to be more like a regular baby and not so hysterical.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:45 PM on May. 21, 2009