In California what age do the Kiddies start Kindergarden?

I am so confused.....I thought it was 6 years old, but then I read it was 5 years old. Then I read it can be either?????

So my daughter is 4 years old in August and I am just starting her in pre-school next month. (I thought she would be in pre-school for a year then pre-k...then kindergarden) Now I am panicking as I think I lost a year somewhere!!! and I don't know if she is going to Kindergarden at 5 or 6.

Also is Kindergarden part of Elementary School?

Thanks so much everyone.

Sharron_

Asked by Sharron_ at 4:06 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Kindergarten and it should 5 depending on when their birthday is.

Anonymous

• Yes Kindergarten is part of Elementary school.

Most school systems have a cut off date for birthdays in Sept.

you have to check with your school system to know exactly. But it sounds like you are on the RIGHT track! Keep her in the 4's program and if she turns 5 before fall....then she should be fine!

Dont panic! I have a degree in Early Childhood Education and I also teach preschool! ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:16 PM on May. 21, 2009

• They MAY begin at 5 they MUST begin at 6.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:22 PM on May. 21, 2009

• In California, a child must be 5 years old by December 2nd to start school in August. That means that a child who is 4 years old, who has a birthday in November, can start school that August even though they are still 4 years old or the paent can opt to wait a year and start them late.

Kindergarten is part of elementary school... sort of. Some kids go to the same school for K as they do for 1st grade. Some go to a different school. It does'nt really matter.

When should your daughter start kindergarten? It depends on how ready your daughter is. Kindergarten has changed a lot in recent years. Kids need to know all of their letters (saying the alphabet doesn't count), be able to count at least to 10 and recognize the numbers, as well as be socially mature enough for kindergarten. In general, most people start them the "proper" year, knowing that the child can repeat kindergarten if needed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:40 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Pre-K is preschool. You were going to give her basically two years of the same stuff.
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies for answering my question. I am from the UK and it is very different here in the US.

My son started full-time school at 4 years old in the UK. (which would be the equivalent to Elementary school here).

Anyway again thanks very much.

Sharron_

Answer by Sharron_ at 11:29 PM on May. 21, 2009