Did you feel guilty when you stopped breastfeeding?

Myboysmom08

Asked by Myboysmom08 at 4:19 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes and no, I stopped at 15 months because I just couldn't take it anymore. And that made me feel bad...knowing that DS still had the emotional need to nurse *I had just returned to work and it was hard on him* but I just couldn't take it.

I think, however that if you stop do to unselfish reasons then there is no reason to feel guilty, no matter what age you do it at.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 4:43 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Yes! I really wanted to breastfeed for at least 2 yrs but had to stop at 14 months due to some serious medical problems I was having.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:21 PM on May. 21, 2009

• YES!!!! I stopped after only one month. I was ignorant, I thought he wasn't getting enough. I will nurse any future children till the self wean.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:24 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Yes! I stopped breastfeeding my first at 7 1/2 m because i was pregnant with my second son and instructed to stop. I stopped with my second at 6 m b/c i just wasnt producing anything. But i already made up my mind that i wasnt going to nurse longer than 8 months anyway, I personally think they are too old to do it after that age, (just my personal opinion, to each their own!) But yes i did feel very guilty. It gets easier and trust me they dont know the difference. Just make sure you are still taking the time to feed them in you arms and still having that bonding time!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 4:26 PM on May. 21, 2009

• yes!! all three times!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 4:43 PM on May. 21, 2009

• No, I felt sad. I breastfed until my daughter weaned herself at 23 months (while working fulltime outsid of my home).

Answer by rkoloms at 4:46 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Not guilty, just sad that I couldn't.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:51 PM on May. 21, 2009

• thankfully my son self-weaned 3 days after his 1st bday. my goal was at least 1 year! I didnt feel guilt since it was self-weaned, but I certainly miss nursing him. if he continued I would have let him. I recently attempted to nurse him and all he did was blow raspberries on my boobs LOL
    Anonymous

• no, because even if i stop bfing because i am ready she will have nursed for at least 28 months where we are now and i'm not trying to really wean her.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 5:17 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Well I didn't stop breastfeeding, my son quit on his own because I was pregnant and yes I felt very guilty and sad. I really wanted to make it to at least 2 years like the WHO recommends. He was 18 months at the time. My second is now 23 months and still going strong.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:19 PM on May. 21, 2009