My 3 year old daughter suddenly refuses to go outside and play because of bugs. Any suggestions?

susanh806

Asked by susanh806 at 4:44 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It will pass, just try everyday. My daughter got bit by a snake this time last year and it took about month but now I cannot get her in the house.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 4:45 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My son was afraid of thunder and lightening until we sat at the screen door and watched a storm one night. Maybe if you could find lightning bugs or lady bugs to show her, so she'll know there are cool bugs out there besides big scary ones?
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 4:46 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Cover her in bugspray, and tell her the mean old nasty bugs can't bite her because of it. Or give her a fly swatter to attack bugs with if they bother her?....watch out for swinging fly swatters though..
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 4:48 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Trap one in a jar, check out a kid friendly book about bugs from the library, and read it at the park or outside while observing the bug in your jar. Don't forget to let the little fella go when you're done.
    :)
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 4:49 PM on May. 21, 2009

• get one of those bug ecosystem things (you know the clear plastic bug boxes W/ breathing holes) and go catch yourself some bugs. Have her look at them through the container & assure her it's ok. Show her how amazing the world of bugs can be. Start with cute lady bugs & moths. And when it's firefly season, catch some of those. Let her know that nature is neat, & show it too her.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:49 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Let me just say that a fear of bugs is a very real fear. I am afraid to death of bugs and i'm 25 years old and lucky me i have a son who is obsessed with bugs. I agree with going and catching some so she can look at them and understand them.
    Anonymous

• my daughter screams for me saying mommy bugsssssssssssssssssssssssssss and it is a ant lol go figure she is 2 everything is a bug to her
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 5:03 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Oooh I am having this problem! We recently moved into a new house and the old house we had an apple tree in the back and everyone got stung at least once or more ugh... So we all got bug issues lol. I think what I am going to try and do this year is go buy some bug cages and bug net and things like that and encourage my three year old to trapping and collecting bugs in jars so we can research and talk about bugs and even buy bug books to help her learn more about them and pick out safe bugs and cautious bugs. Fact is I think mine is just so uncertain which ones bite or not, perhaps if we make it a science project will help them a bit....
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 8:30 AM on May. 22, 2009

• lapcounter (@ 1:45)...... LOL do you mean OUT of the house?? LOL...... I have a picture in my head of a mom trying to tug at her kid to get in the front door of the house. Sorry, I'm easily amused. But, to the OP, I agree with all the statements about studying bugs up close. Kids are so easily reassured when they can understand the object that brings them fear.
    workathome01

Answer by workathome01 at 10:29 AM on May. 23, 2009