Libertarian...

Can someone please give me an overview of the beliefs/opinions of the libertarian party? Are they generally pro-choice/pro-life? For gay narriage or against it? I've never been very big into politics but now that I have LO's I realize I have to take a stand for what I believe is right for the sake of my children. But I really don't know much about politics. I'm trying to figure things out as I go. So thanks to anyone who can help me. :)

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 5:05 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Generally speaking they aren't any of the things the OP listed -- some memebers are very much Pro-Choice and some are very much Pro-Life...some are for gay marriage and some are not...what they are for as a whole is the goverment giving personal responsibility back to the citizens of this country. For the Federal Gov't to stick to only regulating those things specifically put into their power by the Constitution and leave the rest up to each individual state. Please feel free to join us at Libertarian Moms here on CM.  We'd love to have you in the group.  You don't have to be a 'member' of the party - we welcome anyone who has a wish to learn more...hope to see you soon!

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 5:41 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Google the Libertarian Platform. It's simple and even easier to see that many who claim to be one, vote Democrat every 4 years.

If you claim yourself to any party other than the 2 majors, you suffer no persecution. It's the wimpy way to go.

Anonymous

• http://www.lp.org/

http://www.lp.org/issues
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 5:18 PM on May. 21, 2009

• "If you claim yourself to any party other than the 2 majors, you suffer no persecution. It's the wimpy way to go."

Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 5:19 PM on May. 21, 2009

• The party isn't for or against abortion or gay marriage. People within the party hold many different beliefs about both, but believe government should stay out of it. The Libertarian motto is "Live and let live."
    TrekkieMom

Answer by TrekkieMom at 5:34 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I'm for voting party line Libertarian next election. I am tired of the two sides! (of the same coin) Except Ron Paul. He's a Libertarian infiltrating the Republican party.
    TrekkieMom

Answer by TrekkieMom at 5:38 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I have been researching and learning. Correct me if I am wrong~From everything I have seen, (the cliff notes version) ~As long as the Federal government isn't paying for it or regulating it~to each their own..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:46 PM on May. 21, 2009

• grlygrlz2 - not exactly, the position is that the government shouldn't be doing those things in the first place. The Constitution defines a very narrow role for federal government. This statement from the website probably says it best in regard to personal liberty, "We hold that all individuals have the right to exercise sole dominion over their own lives, and have the right to live in whatever manner they choose, so long as they do not forcibly interfere with the equal right of others to live in whatever manner they choose."

TrekkieMom

Answer by TrekkieMom at 6:07 PM on May. 21, 2009

• trekkie, thanks for the clarification. :o) I appreciate it!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:20 PM on May. 21, 2009

• If you claim yourself to any party other than the 2 majors, you suffer no persecution. It's the wimpy way to go.

That isn't true for Libertarians. We are called terrorists for our views regarding the amount of control the government takes at will. It's ridiculous.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 7:20 PM on May. 21, 2009