Why did you decide to become a Stay-at-home-mom (SAHM)?

My parents are living abroad and my father in law and mother in law are divorced which makes it very difficult to ask any of them for help with the children.

I decided to become SAHM because my children my first born was born with a disability and he needs someone 24/7 my little one is almost a year and at this moment it's impossible for me to find time for a job. I know that some moms would suggest to send them to a daycare but I can never trust anyone to take care of my children. Since family is not available to help I can't expect less from people that I don't know.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on May. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I decided to stay at home with my daughter because I've personally worked for a daycare and I've seen what goes on in them theres not much holding or bonding with the baby and its not a very loving environment and i knew that i wouldn't put my child in there to lay on her back all day long. I have enjoyed my time with my daughter those are memories I couldn't get back if I worked. I have been given the option to stay home b/c DH has a great job. If i got a job I would be missing out on everything with my daughter spending time with her like i get to now just to work my tail off and just make enough to pay childcare. Sorry but i'm not going to pay someone else to watch my child when i can do it. I'd only be working to pay childcare and not be left with anything to show for it..time missed that i can't get back missing her first steps nope I don't regret my discussion at all
    pandora09

Answer by pandora09 at 9:24 PM on May. 21, 2009

• i decided to be a SAHM to just be able to raise my own child rather than throw them in daycare. i know some dont have the choice to stay at home and must put them in daycare. and that is understandable im just not big with daycare. anway i wanted to stay home take care of my baby myself, be there for all her firsts clean the house for my family and have dinner ready for my family every night. i just love it. i love working for them at home.
    Anonymous

• My dh and I decided that nobody else would raise our children the same way we would. So one of us should stay home. I am also a potter, which is something I can do at home.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:42 PM on May. 21, 2009

• And by the way before anyone comes telling that I'm abusing the system because the stereotype says that all families with children with disabilities get government assistance, let me tell you that my family doesn't receive a penny. Thank god my DH has a good job and even if he looses his job I can get a job quickly. I have skills and I'm a good hard worker.
    Anonymous

• my hubby has a great job and iam pregnant and he wanted me to stay home with 3yr old and be able to take care of the new baby and he said that if i wanted to work after the baby is born i can but he just wants to stay home and relax thanks so happy!!!
    Reneemommy

Answer by Reneemommy at 5:58 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I dont want to be a stay at home mom but i have to. Me and my SO only have 1 car so there would be no way for me to get to work. Also if i was to get a job that would just add the expence of childcare when i am working and we do not have the money for that right now. I have always had a job till i got out of the military on medical and now i cant seem to get one anywhere. I have been trying for a year since i got out to start work agian and i havnt been able to get one anywhere.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:05 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I was staying at home for a very short time. I was working but my son had some medical issues that required therapy several times a week and doctor appointments that took some time. That meant always needing time away from work. I will say my job was very flexable and my employers did work with me. It came down to burn out. I needed to have time away from the job and take my child to his appointments. It lasted for about over half a year and now no more regular weekly interventions are required at this particular time. I was lucky enough that a job opening came available just as I was ready to start hunting - I'm back at my original place of employment before being a SAHM. I will say I still had my son in a part time day program in between therapy visits - knowing that I was always planning on going back to work we didn't want to have to get him used to going back to his school.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:13 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I had decided when I got out of high school when I married my sweetie.We decided that if we had children tha I would stay home.I have 3 kiddos and my husband has been okay with me working off and on,but I always end up missing them and coming back home.I love my kids and I did not want a daycare or some stranger telling them the things that I should be telling them.I love my kids but I also can respect that some moms need to work,I say go for it.But in my case I LOVE being a sahm it is very rewarding and you don't miss any milestones or firsts.
    bubblygrl225

Answer by bubblygrl225 at 6:16 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I'm a SAHM because I just wanted to be. My mom was a SAHM and I liked having her around. It's all I ever wanted to be. Plus I hated working. I hate the red tape and dealing with customers, etc. There's no way I, personally, could handle a full time job and taking care of my kids. My head would explode. Kudos to those moms who do it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:43 PM on May. 21, 2009

• my fiance and i decided together- we feel the same way about no one else being able to take care of our kids the way we do- its just better for our family this way
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 6:56 PM on May. 21, 2009