new baby?? with feeding

ok so my sister had her baby on tuesday and she is having trouble feeding her daughter. her daughter just wont eat at all she tries to feed her and she will suck for a couple of seconds and then be done she just called me and said that she has not ate since noon today and she keeps trying but she is just not interested. the nurses at the hospital gave her a feeding tube to put milk in and get something down her but she wont take that either what can she do? is this normal? thanks!!

Reneemommy

Asked by Reneemommy at 5:44 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would get a hold of a lactation consultant if your sister is BF. They can give her pointers. I'd also call the pedi. GOod luck
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 5:54 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Does the baby have a cleft palet? I have a friend and the dr. over looked it and she found out when he was 3 weeks old.
    QuintinsMom520

Answer by QuintinsMom520 at 6:08 PM on May. 21, 2009

• She needs to get the baby to the pediatrician and figure out what is going on.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:28 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Call a LC ASAP. Cup feed the infant formula or BM. You can put it in a medicine cap (like the nyquil measuring cup) and just wrap the baby really tightly in a blanket and let them drink it. this is what they did with my daughter when i was in a coma right after she was born so that she did not become used to the bottle.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:13 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I agree with mama_l. Sometimes, just letting yourself unwind is the best way to get your milk to letdown. After a particularly stressful day, if I notice my milk supply is low, I have a beer and just relax and my milk comes in full force.

Definitely get a GOOD LC involved!!
    MelanieLouise

Answer by MelanieLouise at 7:40 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Actually, the baby may not be that hungry yet. Imagine that you were just born. You were nice & cozy, warm & well fed. All of a sudden, you're squeezed through a tube so tight, it deforms your face. Its cold, too bright & you've lost you cocoon. Worst of all, after you've already been poked & prodded, some lady jams a tub down your throat. It's got to be like how we would feel if we were abducted by aliens. Would you be hungry? I'd be ready to throw up. I know your sister is worried, but she needs to relax & cuddle the baby. They both need to know everything is alright. The more she holds the baby, the better the baby will respond. Keep trying to nurse her, when the milk comes in, she'll be ready to tear it up! Congratulations on your new niece.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 8:06 PM on May. 21, 2009

• When I had my baby she would not eat or would only suck for a little bit and what happened was she had low blood sugar they had to put her in the NICU and give her an IV to get her blood sugar up and once it stayed level because it never would be at the right level it was so low and if she did get to eat it would be low but any ways once it stayed they took her off and monitored her and if it was still good she went home and she was able to eat and everything was fine.
    LaitonLysette

Answer by LaitonLysette at 8:47 PM on May. 21, 2009