If I ask my toddler (almost two) if she has done a poo, when she clearly has, and she says "No.", is she lying?

I know, it sounds silly.

But, my daughter fully understand when she has peed and when she has pooed, and she also understands the question "Have you done a poop sweetie?"

So, when I know she has done a poop, and I'm about to change her, and I ask her nicely if she has done a poop - and she says "No." to try to get out of a diaper change -- was that a lie she told?

(I just didn't think kids figured out they could lie until a later age....)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• True a lie but that's what kids do at the very least at that age. Wait'll she gets older and stuffs frogs down her pants or cuts her hair and says she didn't do it. Fun!! Just say calmly, firmly "I think you did why don't you look or show me so we can see". It's not necessarily a lie planned in advance but a spontaneous response from child's still developing brain. She sounds beautiful!!!!!
    Anonymous

• If you really want to get technical then yeah she is lying. But on the other hand, she doesnt understand the concept of lying yet, she isn't doing it to hurt anything, and if you are changing her she clearly isnt doing it to see if she can get away with hit. I wouldnt think to much of it. I would however use it as an oportunity to introduce telling the truth, but not by punishing her, just see if you can encourage her to come clean, and tell praise her when she does. I dont think she is old enough to be punished for a lie for a year or possibly even longer.
    Anonymous

• At that age "NO" is their answer for everything. All you can do is correct them.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 6:32 PM on May. 21, 2009

• HaHa

My two year old son does that also. I just tell him he needs to say, "Mommy, I pooped" and leave it at that. I heard it's common for little kids to "lie" about it.

Now if he was four and said "no", I would punish him for lying.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:33 PM on May. 21, 2009

• each one of my three kids did the same thing at that age, and both toddlers that I babysit part time do that too. If I ask them if they have a stinky, they usually will say no even though they do.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 6:33 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Toddlers are the best liars! My daughter is 2 1/2 and tells me "No" ALL the time when she means "Yes." It may be that she's telling you she didn't go because she thinks pooping's bad. Which may or may not be due to how she was trained. I once got upset at my daughter for pooping on the floor. Boy, did I regret that...pooping had negative connotations for a long time after that. Just try to encourage and celebrate every time she poops. Eventually, she'll come around!
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 6:34 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Shes NOT even 2 yet. Why are you even asking her, check in see. Thats your job as a parent. Shes not even old enough to begin potty training yer or understand everything people say. Shes been on this earth less the 2 years. Shes NOT lying and I feel sorry for you as a parent. Let a kid be a kid. These days ppl make their kids grow up wayyyyyyyyy to fast. This is my personla OP~ At age 2 they are NOT held accountable for their actions honey! :)
    Anonymous

• Yep. It's a lie. Right now, though, she doesn't know it's wrong so now is the time to explain it to her...in toddler terms. And you will explain it over and over.

If you ask her if she's pooped and she says "no"...and it's quite clear she has...tell her it's not nice to lie about things, maybe tell her you're disappointed in her.

I don't think it's right to fully discipline at this stage, she doesn't really understand it's wrong, just that if she says it, it will maybe get her out of a diaper change.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:37 PM on May. 21, 2009

• 4 isnt even old enough to be punished for lying. Not about such a silly subject!! When it comes to potty training, accidents happen and a normal parent doesnt punish their kid for bowel movements. Please...
    Anonymous

• She's not lying per se. Kids don't know how to lie purposefully until they're at least three. She just doesn't want her diaper changed.
    I would avoid asking her questions that you know the answer to. Just say "I know you have a poop, so let's go change your diaper. I know you don't want to, but we have to do it."
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 6:38 PM on May. 21, 2009