How do you tell a friend..?

that they have roaches in their car?I was in my friend's car last week and it had roaches in it. Now she's wanting to come over, or wanting me to come do things with her where we'd be traveling in her car, and I'm just freaked out. I don't want to put my kid in the car like that, and I'm hesitant to have her visit for fear that we'll end up getting them. My husband is so anti-bugs it would mean I'd have to stop talking to her.Should I tell her? Should I continue to blow her off? Would you be leary of having her over as well? What should I do?

s.teph

Asked by s.teph at 6:31 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• i would bring it up casually, you know kinda joke about it without making her feel bad about it. i wouldnt put my kid in a car like that either!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 6:35 PM on May. 21, 2009

• OMG I have never heard of getting them in your car, and yeah I think thats gross, but if it were me I would just tell her straight up, just be like "you know last time we went to ____ I saw a few roaches in your car, you better get it sprayed or something before they go in your house", that way you sound concerned for her and she wont get so defensive about it since you were just looking out for her interest
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 6:40 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I would casually mention you saw a few roaches in her car and your children have some allergies to the excriment of roaches and also they carry germs/bacteria that are harmful to your children. All most likely true. Most of are allergic to roach excriment - just some are more sensitive than others and roaches really do carry very nasty stuff. So make it more about an allergy issue rather than "boy you are a really dirty nasty person." It is really sensitive stuff. But if her children had rashes your children could get you wouldn't be having them over. Same thing. So tread lightly and approach with care but make it about you and apologize saying that you know it sounds silly....hopefully it will go well.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:42 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My dd lived in the country and her car was covered in those nasty things. I told her we're spraying the car before we get in it and after we get out or I'm not traveling with her. They get in your purse or pockets then into your house. YUK. Nasty and dirty things. Yes tell her.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:34 PM on May. 21, 2009

• MY GOODNESS, IT IS ONLY A BUG!!!NOT THE PLAGUE! I WOULD TELL HER AND TRAVEL WITH HER WITH ROACH SPRAY!

Answer by older at 8:35 PM on May. 21, 2009

• That's what I was afraid of.. that they'd get in hre purse or something on her way here and then she'd carry them in my house. My mom had them once.. and it was hell to get rid of them.. I do NOT want them in my home. She doesn't have kids, and she's younger than I am (early 20's) and she doesn seem to care about cleanliness as much although it was never to an extent like this. Her car is trashed.. but never had roaches before.. now I see them all over.. so I'm a little freaked out. I hate telling her she can't come over etc.. but I really don't want them in my home.
    s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 8:36 PM on May. 21, 2009

Have you ever had roaches before? Because they're pretty bad. And we live in Florida.. so hot humid weather is right up their alley.
    s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 8:37 PM on May. 21, 2009

• If you were my friend I would want you to tell me! It would piss me off if you didn't! I hate bugs!
    AlyConMom

Answer by AlyConMom at 8:55 PM on May. 21, 2009

• You can always offer to meet her at the car wash to clean out your cars together.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 9:39 PM on May. 21, 2009

• "MY GOODNESS, IT IS ONLY A BUG!!!NOT THE PLAGUE! I WOULD TELL HER AND TRAVEL WITH HER WITH ROACH SPRAY! "

they are kinda like a plague, once you get them, they multiply like crazy and are EXTREMELY hard to get rid of..

OP- I don't blame you for how you feel, thankfully, I live in an area where they are few an far between.. but I would mention this to her.. although I'm sure she is already aware of the problem if they are in her car... perhaps you could soften the blow by offering to pay for an exterminator for her car.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:59 PM on May. 21, 2009