My friend is constantly correcting me....

If I say EVERYONE loves bananas in a general conversation she'll immediately say not EVERYONE not me! Or if I explain something using more words than necessary she'll repeat it the "right way" It's really annoying and degrading. How do I get her to stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'd just do it back to her as often as you can. That is really annoying I agree. I am very good with grammar, but in typing I often make typos and click send too quickly. When that happens it never fails that there is someone waiting to tell me I made a mistake. I feel like people who are waiting around for others to make stupid little mistakes so that they can correct them have small little lives and need to bring others down to feel better about themselves.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:20 PM on May. 21, 2009

• im like that , some people are. it is just how they are . sorry but just ignore it or tell her that it bothers you
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:55 PM on May. 21, 2009

• So Mrs. Owens you correct people while your having light conversations?? Why? What does it do for you? Would it bother you if others were constantly correcting you?
    I'm not being rude I'm just trying to figure out why somebody would care so much! And if she does why does she continue to be my friend?

Anonymous

• My friends and family call me Mrs. Grammar. I am forever correcting them. I just can't help it. It is like a built-in personality trait. Things only got worse when I went to college for journalism. Now, I correct typos in books that I read for fun!
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 7:05 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I have caught myself doing that too and I agree its very annoying and hurtful to the person receiving it. Yes, I do see misspelled words and improper grammar like neon flashing lights, but I had to learn that it wasn't my que to correct everyone. Its really the same thing as someone telling you how stupid and dumb you are, but in not so many words and in an indirect way. I would simply ask her to stop doing it. If you want to explain how it makes you feel, then fine, but at least say, hey, thats really annoying and it bothers me when you do that. She might really not know how annoying she is. Of course be loving and respectful in your words...the first time. After that, if she still doesnt get it, then I would distance myself from her for sure. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:41 PM on May. 21, 2009