Have You Ever Relocated To A Different State?

Yes, I have posted this before, I am hoping for further input. I am interested in hearing about a variety of relocating experiences.

My husband and I are considering relocating, I have a few questions for those who have relocated in the past. How far did you move? Approximately how much did it cost you to make the move? Any advice to a family considering relocating?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• i moved from NJ to Georgia to NJ to NY state to NJ to VA to NJ and elsewhere in NJ and elsewhere in NJ and places before that. My best moves were when I googled realtors to see which ones I might want to use and saw ahead of time their sites ease or difficulty of using their websites. And any realtor who doesn't give multiple open houses to a house your selling is no good. Check out how often open houses are held by different realtors too.
    Anonymous

• We moved from about mid California to mid Oregon. (I don't know how many miles, exactly)

I packed everything in the house for about a month...a little at a time. Hubby packed up the garage.

When I packed the boxes, I used little colored dots as a code to let me know which ones were most important to open first: Green dots for "open right away" Yellow dots for "open next" Red dots for "can wait awhile". I then marked each box with the correct room they go in. I packed a final box on the day of moving with anything we needed right up to moving day. This really helped when we were unpacking!

We rented a moving truck. Packed it with whatever needed to come into the house FIRST-Last. In other words, need it first~ pack it last! (My boxes with the green dots were packed last, for instance, as were our beds!)

We made two trips to get everything in the house.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:01 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I moved from Canada to England on my own and then from England to Canada with my family.

It cost us about $10,000 but that also included immigration expenses for my husband and of course the cost of shipping our belongings overseas.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:13 AM on May. 22, 2009