How dialated do you have to be?

I am 37 weeks and 3 days, I went to the doctor on Tuesday and I was 3 cm and very soft. This is my second child and I am miserable. Anyway how dialated do you have to be before they will keep you?

lillysmama2008

Asked by lillysmama2008 at 7:20 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• they kept me when i was 4cm
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:20 PM on May. 21, 2009

• If that was me my doctor would of kept me.
    Anonymous

• Keeping you has nothing to do with dilation. If you are having regular contraction, then they will keep you, or if your water breaks. I was walking around dilated to 5cms for at least a week before I gave birth to my second.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:24 PM on May. 21, 2009

• they normally keep you if you are having contractins, and they are making you dialate.
    But if your not having contractions, i think after about 6cm they will think about keeping you.
    Anonymous

• our hospital doesnt keep you based on dilation! I was a 5cm dilated at 73 weeks but I wasnt contracting so there would have been no reason to keep me. They only keep you if you are in labor, not just because you are dilated.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 9:08 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Having contraction at least 5 minutes apart for an hour is the general guideline to keep a mom in the hospital
    HypnoMomma

Answer by HypnoMomma at 9:36 PM on May. 21, 2009

• when my daughter delivered, they told her they would not keep her until she was 5cm. This was her first child, I don't know if that changes things. Walk your feet off, but have someone with her, it speeds things up.
    GMOTM

Answer by GMOTM at 10:54 PM on May. 21, 2009

• 4 with contractions, but a LOT of women will go to 5 or 6 before theirs start.
    really you could be 3 cm and 100% for WEEKS before you have the baby. it really doesnt mean anything.

try sex to get things moving.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on May. 22, 2009