Is it possible to be teething at 6 weeks?

I asked my mom yesterday and she looked in my baby book and I was 3 months and 2 days old when I got my first teeth. I've read babies with parents who got them early are more likely to get them early as well. My daughter was 6 weeks old yesterday and for the past couple of days she's been drooling a ton, she chews on my fingers(not the same as sucking), chews on her fingers(she usually sucks her fist when she's hungry-this is different), and she has been more fussy than normal. Are these symptoms of teething? How could you tell when YOUR kids were teething and what ages were they??

MadisonsMom0408

Asked by MadisonsMom0408 at 7:24 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it is possible. My ds started teething at 6 weeks. The Dr. said no because it was to early but at 3 months he got his first tooth. I could tell he was teething because he was cranky, had a rash on his chin from all the drool and the only thing that made him feel better was to rub his gums or let him chew on my finger. There is a teething toy that my ds loved. It was star shaped with a handle on the bottom. It vibrated every time he would bite down on it. Once he figured ot that it did that he would bite down on it and almost go into a trance. He looked so relieved. You can see it here: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2792502  Good luck!

Anonymous

• My brother had four teeth at six weeks. He was also born six weeks early. If he had been born on time he could have had teeth at birth give or take a week.

Does your baby have hard little bumps on her gums? If she does I would bet she is teething.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:26 PM on May. 21, 2009

• She was 2 weeks late, so I guess technically she'd be 8 weeks. But I've read/heard that babies can teethe for months before they actually cut their teeth. And that the average is 7 months..
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 7:29 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Yes she could very possible be teething!

Did you know that 1 in 2000 babies are born with a full set of teeth. Crazy but true!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 7:31 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I think teething as used as an excuse for normal baby fussing. She sounds pretty typical for a six week old! Don't worry too much.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:32 PM on May. 21, 2009

• It is possible. My dd has been teething for what seems like months. She is almost 6 months now...and still no teeth. Just hang in there! You'll get thru it!
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 7:32 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My little brother started to teeth at 6 wks and by 8 weeks he had a two teeth.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 7:34 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Oops...I accidently hit the anon button. :) That's me up there with the link ^^
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 7:36 PM on May. 21, 2009

• YES IT IS POSSIBLE, DID YOU KNOW THAT SOME BABIES ARE BORN WITH TEETH!! I WORKED AT A MATERNITY WARD FOR 7 YEARS AND I GOT TO SEE A HANDFUL OF THEM.

Answer by older at 7:57 PM on May. 21, 2009