how can i increase my breast milk naturally?

i'm a first time mom and i don't lactate well i don't wanna train my son in bottle feeding. i drank lactating milk but it won't work our for me.

chelai

Asked by chelai at 7:30 PM on May. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• What's lactating milk? How old is your baby? And why do you think you need supply help? The likely hood of you having real supply issues is very tiny. If your baby's having enough wet/poopy diapers a day, you have nothing to worry about. Don't think about how much you pump, how your boobs feel, how often he eats or whatever else. Supply goes by demand. Your body makes what your baby needs with the signals of stimulation. If you don't nurse for 5 days, you'll hurt supply. If you nurse whenever baby is hungry w/out schedules or supplementing, your body will make all he needs. To ease your worries, you can take 2 fenugreek caps 4x a day. Relax and stay hydrated. Let me know if you need anymore help. Also check out a BFing group here or go to kellymom.com.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:37 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I agree with previous poster. Also eating a bowl of oatmeal does wonders (I learned the hard way lol). I would also add making sure you are getting enough liquids, water, juice, etc.
    RaiderMommy

Answer by RaiderMommy at 7:49 PM on May. 21, 2009

• PPs are both correct--make sure you are taking care of your own nutritional health. If you are not eating or drinking, it is harder to make milk. You could also try drinking a Guinness. Yes, the beer. Try just a few ounces & do it right after you finish a nursing session. It isn't for everyone but it worked for me (unintentionally--I was on vaca in Ireland!!).
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 7:51 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Feed you baby, pump as well. Helped me. I produced enough to give him a bottle of breatmilk a day up to 6 months after I quit breast feeding.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 8:07 PM on May. 21, 2009

• nurse frequently. take brewers yeast tabs. drink lots of water; at least 6 oz every time you nurse. have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:54 PM on May. 21, 2009

• There is an herb called Fenugreek that's supposed to help increase milk production. I never used it so I don't know how well it works, but my cousin did and it worked well for her.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:55 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Drinks LOTS of water, nurse on demand, oatmeal or even oatmeal cookies will help. And you can take mother's milk tea, or feengreek and goat thistle supplements(both are in the tea, but if you don't like tea...but take enough feengreek and you'll smell like maple syrup...lol). and most importantly RELAX!!!
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 9:18 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Nurse and pump. ALWAYS nurse 1st. Count diapers. If you have at least 6, your baby is getting enough. If not, fenugreek and oatmeal will help. Drink lots of water.
    Juniper53098

Answer by Juniper53098 at 9:32 PM on May. 21, 2009