Castor oil to induce labor?

I was just wondering if anyone has used castor oil to induce their labor. If you have did it work? Was it worth it? How long did the diarrhea last and how bad was it?

Tages_Mom

Asked by Tages_Mom at 7:30 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I know my grandma did it =) But i dont think i would i wouldnt want to have the runs that bad
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:32 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't do it. I actually hate that people consider it. Yes, being pregnant is a pain, but letting things happen naturally is what is best for the labor and delivery for both you and your baby.
    I know you're anxious, but please, let that baby do what it needs to do.
    Anonymous

• i really think that you should not do it..i have some friends thats have done it and then they regret it.

just let your lil one do his job with god... in any way you WILL HAVE THAT BABY....

CONGRATS
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 7:38 PM on May. 21, 2009

• i tried it when i was 3 days over due... this was my LAST resort... i tried it and it didnt do ne thing for inducing labor, all it did was give me really bad diareha... also FYI it takes anywhere from 4-12 hrs to fully kick in so take it early as you can in the day
    angelalexsgirl

Answer by angelalexsgirl at 7:38 PM on May. 21, 2009

• i had thought about doing it with my son but then my mom told me a story about a friend of hers that did it and went in to labor so fast that she ended up delivering on the bathroom floor.
    jac1908

Answer by jac1908 at 7:39 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Castor oil can be toxic if not used properly. Why do you think your digestive tract and your reproduction system are connected? Why not let your body deliver when it's supposed to?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:42 PM on May. 21, 2009

• there's a warning out now...don't use castor oil
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:37 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I've found that acupressure and Cohosh root combined work great for stimulating labor, however you should discuss it with your health care provider....... they will induce you if you want them to and it is safe for the baby.
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 8:55 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I tried castor oil and sat on the toilet for an hour and a half. If your already dilated and having contractions that's really the only way it might work. I wouldn't recommend it!
    jennifer8585

Answer by jennifer8585 at 9:49 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I will never try the castor oil thing again! I tried it and it did NOTHING for inducing. Didn't even make me poo... just made me really sick to my stomach! I was in bed moaning for 2 hours! it was awful! DON"T DO IT!! haha.... but seriously its totally not worth it.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 9:58 PM on May. 21, 2009