I gave my daughter rice cereal for the first time on Tuesday but it made her constipated. I haven't given it to her again. What other types of cereal do you all think i should try next?

Asked by Emmasmom2009 at 7:43 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• None. There's no nutritional need or benefit from baby cereals and your baby is WAY too young.

Answer by jus1jess at 7:54 PM on May. 21, 2009

• i really dont think that you should give you baby cereal.. untill she 6 months ago

Answer by yamil519 at 7:59 PM on May. 21, 2009

• jus1jess.. exactly.. way to young..

Answer by mamaof2748 at 8:25 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I don't know how old your baby is, but we started my son on Rice cereal at 4 months and he was constipated too. At 5 months we started him on oatmean and now at 9 months he loves it! He hasn't had any problems.

• If your baby is not yet 6 months old, then hold off on solids. Many nutritionists now recommend avocado as babies' first solid. Keep in mind that before babies turn one, solids are for the experience of eating, not nutrition.
    Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is a wonderful book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families. You should be able to find it at your local library. there is great information on the website:

Answer by rkoloms at 9:24 PM on May. 21, 2009

• If she is less than 6 months old, then stop any rice cereal until she is, then introduce it gradually. Constipation when they first get it is a sign that their body is not ready to digest it yet.

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:26 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Your profile says she's 1 month old, that's WAY too young. No solids before 6 months.

Answer by Arisce at 11:41 PM on May. 21, 2009