Any suggestions for getting your baby to crawl on hardwood?

We have exclusively hard wood in our house and no area rugs. She tries to get up and crawl but slips all over the place and can't get up to crawl. Do you think this will hinder her development? We can't afford an area rug! Any good suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Look around at some yard sales or thrift shops for her an area rug or either get her one of those walkers that you push around and walk behind.
    Anonymous

• Is it her clothes that are slipping? Bare knees won't hurt her.
    Maybe you could try putting a big blanket down for her to try on.
    What do you think you could afford? I don't know if you have a Gabriel's in your area, but I bought a 9x11 rug there for $160. You could also consider getting a carpet remnant until you could afford more, maybe? I understand that it may still be too much. There are times around here that $20 is too much!
    I think it may just take her longer to crawl, but not beyond that. (JMO, I don't know for fact.)
    MomEveryDay

Answer by MomEveryDay at 8:08 PM on May. 21, 2009

• All 3 of mine have learned on hard woods. I agree and let her go bare kneed, it wont hurt her, and she may get a little red on her knees, but it would happen or carpet too. I really doubt that it will hinder development, it didnt on any of myu kids, and I had a wide range of crawling ages, from 6 months to 10 months. Just keep encouraging her, it takes a while to get the basics down and once she starts she will be all ovdr the place in no time!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 8:17 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I have tile but I have an area rug....but sometimes home depot or lowes just has scrap peices that they throw away, you could check with them...other than that , just spread out a bunch of towels and blankets....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:31 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My daughter slid on the hardwood floors for a bit, she would even crawl up to the line between the carpetted room and the room with hardwood floors and cry until I came to get her, but after a few weeks, she cruises down the hallway on those hardwoods floors without issue. Her kneeds are always red though! And I try to crawl down the hallway with her and man that hurts!! I won't do anything special, your baby will get the hang of it.
    rabbate

Answer by rabbate at 9:19 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Crawling is not a milestone and many babies never crawl.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:21 PM on May. 21, 2009

• It will not hinder her development. We have all hardwood floors, maybe that is why my little guy "scootched" more than crawled!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:24 PM on May. 21, 2009

• "Crawling is not a milestone and many babies never crawl, rkoloms..." No, some babies don't crawl, but it is very important.
    I have said it before in here, and I will say it again. It is very imprtant for babies to crawl. When babies crawl they make a cross motion with their arms and legs, with builds crucial connections between the right and left side of the brain. These connections are important for further gross motor development. It has to be the "old fashioned" crawl, though.
    As far as the wooden floor, I agree with some of the above. Let her go bare kneed, she will get the hang of it.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:40 PM on May. 22, 2009