• In the Spotlight:

Why do you believe in your religon?

were you rasied that way?
Did you have some kind of awakening?
Did you just feel the need to believe in something?

Whats your reason?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised as a Christian, and yes I believe in God, but I don't particularly care for "religions" as they divide people. Also I have come across an awful lot of backstabbing hypocrites that claimed to be "Christians". So I keep my distance from all that drama, but I do have a personal relationship with God, and so does my children.
    MonkeyMomma07

Answer by MonkeyMomma07 at 8:08 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I'm a Buddhist. It is as much a philosophy as a religion. It isn't a religion where you have to accept or believe a lot of dogma- it is more experiential in nature. So it's hard for me to answer 'why do I believe it'- because it's based on practice moreso than belief. However, I practice it because I am a happier, more grounded, more compassionate, and more forgiving person on the Buddhist path. I also found that Buddhism was very much what I believed even before I had ever heard of Buddhism... it wasn't so much a matter of finding a new religion as finding a name to the path I was already on.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:16 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I am an atheist who was raised in a christian home. It never felt "right" to me; even as a young child.
    What I do take comfort and peace in, is what always spoke to my heart...and that is how I live my life or what I live my life by.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:16 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I was raised to be spiritual, not religious.  I was encouraged when I began to question God to find my own path and the answers I was looking for.  When I found the answers I was encouraged to learn more.

The more I learned the more the missing pieces to my spiritual puzzle began to fall into place.

My beliefs bring my peace and understanding.

I see the truth of my beliefs everyday in Nature.

It's hard to explain.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:32 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I was raised in a Reform Jewish home and it never quite felt "good". I had a feeling that there was some hypocrisy going on. My parents didn't celebrate anything except maybe for Rosh Hashana and a Passover seder. But should I dare come home with a non-Jewish boyfriend? That was unthinkable. And I never understood why. I felt it was more being "socially" Jewish that was important. So now I'm an orthodox Jew, at least I found some consistency with these beliefs and I understand truly what it means to be Jewish and it's not eating matzoh balls and singing "mazal tov" in a wedding.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:34 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I am not a participating member of the church I was raised in.
    You could say I had an awakening...that might be the best way to describe what happened to me. I usually say I climbed out of the pretty box and took a better look around me.

I believe what I believe because it makes me feel whole and happy and at peace. It answers questions Ive always had and doesnt make me feel guilty or fearful of going to hell because I asked a question.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:42 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I was raised catholic, went to ccd and mass. but learned quick that it wasnt the religion for me. I simply cant bring myself to hate anyone, I believe everyone is created equal. That I should treat others the way I wish to be treated. and from what I was taught by the catholic church they obviously dont believe that way. I have chosen the wiccan path, a path that teaches love and acceptance of all living things on this which we call mother earth.
    Anonymous

• because after study, contemplation, and my personal relationship with God it seems to be the be the best fit for me, to make the most sense to me.
    i was raised Christian, but my mother always encouraged us to question and think for ourselves. i never had an awakening, its more that my beliefs and relationship with God has grown and matured.
    God has always been present in my life, His love has always been my driving force, and everything I've experienced, learned, studied, etc has only supported my beliefs.
    (I'm a Christian Universalist, btw)
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:54 PM on May. 21, 2009

• my Christian faith comes from being raised that way. while i dont follow the particular church i grew up in, i cant deny it all together. ive asked myself if God really existed & if Jesus was really more than just a good man. and ive come to the conclusion that i really do believe in the basics of Christianity...i just dont like the rules of men that are added to it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:55 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My mum is catholic and my dad is COE. They didn;t push their religons on me or my sister. they didn't make us pray, we never went to church in fact. Nothing about us was religous. I don;t know where it came from but i just believed in god like i believed in father christmas or the tooth fairy. When i got older i realised it was just....not right.

I am an athiest, my sister is an agnostic, my mum is still catholic even though i thought she would be athiest by now. My dad...i have no idea.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 9:01 PM on May. 21, 2009