At what age can a child be diagnosed . . .

I was diagnosed with ADHD at 9 months old. My son is 9 months old now and is all over the place all the time. The only time I can keep him in one place is when he is sleeping. He doesn't have a down time where he just sits and plays ever. He is always crawling, always climbing, always moving. I go pee and come back and he is in another room. Is it possible that my son may have ADHD also?? And if so, is it too early to tell??

lilmomma090908

Asked by lilmomma090908 at 8:09 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no.... thats what babies do........ why are people so stuck on diagnosing their children?? Just wait till he's 3 or so.... thats how kids learn., they explore.
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 8:13 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My nephew they didnt even want to test till he entered 1st grade. Babies will do that, some more than others. Enjoy your baby and quit trying to find something wrong with him.
    Anonymous

i agree and it is one big reason of why googel should die to many people want to google diagnose thier children
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:28 PM on May. 21, 2009

• welcome to childhood. add is so overdiagnosed.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:35 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I really wouldn't worry about it....the more you hear and read and get responses from people the more you worry.....people should just let their kids be kids...my DD is the same way. always looking around at everything, constantly wanting to do something....its normal for babies.....just enjoy it and don't worry too much about it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:38 PM on May. 21, 2009

• 9 mos old? That's ridiculous. I'm sorry, both of mine have adhd. Neither was diagnosed until they were in school. At 9 mos old, he is absolutely normal. What you describe is normal baby behavior, and I think it's sad that you want to saddle him with a label like that. Do you know how people will look at him if you tell them he has adhd? They will always expect the worst of him. Don't do that to him.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:38 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My 9 month old is the same way. He just loves to explore. He'll sit and play with a toy for 2 seconds and on to the next. And he just loves crawling and getting into everything and anything. Don't worry!
    Anonymous

• A child cannot be diagnosed with ADHD at 9 months old! It sounds to me like you have an active baby. My kids were like absolute monkeys at that age. Just like you describe, climbing up onto things getting into everything etc. At ages 7 and 8 yrs they do not have ADHD, but as toddlers they could outrun the Energizer Bunny any day!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:22 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My daughter is 9 months and is exactly the same. No way is it ADHD!!! It's just an active baby!
    Anonymous

• Like many of you other moms my daughter is the same way. I also thing that ppl are too quick to diagnose ADD & ADHD, honestly I believe too many kids are misdiagnosed with it just because it's easier for their parents to deal with them if they are medicated instead of actually sitting down with them and teaching/playing with them!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 11:48 PM on May. 21, 2009