PLEASE HELP!!!!! How do I get my daughter to go to sleep at bed time.

My daughter is 17 months and I can not get her to bed till 2am, sometime later. If she doesn't get a nap she will go to sleep about 8pm but in an hour she is up for the night. I have tried everything letting her cry it out but she gets out the bed. She sleeps in my room because she wont stay asleep if the TV not on another problem someone help please.

miasmom2008

Asked by miasmom2008 at 8:14 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My husband grew up w/ the t.v. putting him to bed at night and untill I got w/ him he still used it to go to bed at night.They make night light stuffed animals.They ligh tup and put stars on the wall.If it's the noise that she requiers then get a radio and put on some classical music.It's relaxing.Try a morning nap in stead of an afternoon nap.Limet it to two or three hours.My daughter takes a nap at 10:20am and wakes up at 1:00pm.Other wise I'm up till 1 in the morning.She also wakes up at around 7:20am and (most nights) goes to bed at 9pm.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 11:17 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Buy a white noise machine or a radio to put in her room, or a musical nightlight. Wake her up at 8am or earlier, and don't let her nap unless she's acting really tired. My little man is up from 8am, sometimes 7:30, until 9pm, but he goes to bed every night at 9, whether he wants to or not. We leave the tv on in the livingroom so he can hear it, but the light doesn't bother him.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:23 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I try to run my toddler around outside, or at least inside, after dinner. The activity and the fresh air are good for helping him get tired. Then we have a little routine of calm quiet activities. A nice warm bath, pajamas, story time. Usually by bedtime he's quite exhausted and goes to bed awake without any cranking.

The tv situation sounds is your own fault. It was a bad habit to start, but it's not too late to break it. The sooner you break that habit the better. As Bisketliss suggested, try some white noise or a radio. I put used to use a lullaby cd.

Another thing you can try to help get her to sleep through the night is to give her a snack before bed. I used to give my son a bowl of oatmeal and a glass of milk.
    Anonymous

• I absolutely disagree about not letting her nap. She's a BABY and she NEEDS a nap every day. Is she on a regular routine? Does she eat and nap and go to bed at the same time every day?

At her age, my kids were sleeping from about 8p-8a and napping from about 1-3p each afternoon. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and sometimes a bedtime snack, but not usually.

Routine would probably solve this problem as it sounds like she probably doesn't have one.

Sleeping in your room may not be helping her, especially if the TV is on. You need to break her of this sooner rather than later.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 9:36 PM on May. 21, 2009