Wait, my dog didn't really go to live on a farm??

Did you have an experience where you had a long held belief that you never questioned, only to find out that it wasn't actually true? Only you found out years after you should have known better? For example: My husband actually believed that he had a dog that went off to live on a farm. He didn't realize that this was a white lie that parents tell children until he was in a conversation at Grad school wherein they brought up the concept of the prodigal farm. He spoke too soon and said "That's funny because I really did have this dog that went to live on a far," almost immediately after saying this it occurred to him that he had been believing this thing that wasn't true for far longer than he should have.

This was the subject of a This American Life with Ira Glass a few months ago and I was curious if anyone else had anything like this?

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 8:22 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oh Gigi you crack me up!!!

Ok so my parents were strong believers in not lying to us kids EVER so, I never had any pets go to the farm they all died and went to animal heaven.

There are some things that I believed for years though. I was born on labor day and it was '76 so there was some kind of bicentennial thing going on that year, so my parents called me a red white and blue baby and for years i thought I was actually red white and blue when I was born. I will not divulge how old I was when I found out this wasn't true.

I can't think of any others right now because I am exauhsted but I know there are more. Maybe I will be back.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 8:57 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I wonder when my son will catch on about the 2 dogs, 2 guinea pigs 8 mice, 18 kittens and the turtle that "went to go live on a farm".
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 8:52 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Well mine is much worse and twisted. When I was in high school, one of our cats Shadow was getting elderly and became incontinent. One day, she was just gone. Our parents didn't tell us anything, except apparently my little brother who they told that they dropped her off at a farm. So who knows what really ever happened to this cat.
    Anonymous

• I have one but, it's just silly: I always thought the expression was "Doggy dog world" not "Dog eat dog world." I didn't find out that I was wrong until about two years ago when a friend was making fun of another friend for the same mix up. I was all "oh yeah haha I knew that too" ...but I didn't.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:03 PM on May. 21, 2009

• lol beckcorc- me too! lol i think i realized a yr ago when i heard someone say it clear enough for me to make out the eat part lol
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:41 PM on May. 21, 2009

• wait, it's not doggie dog world? wah wah waaaaaaaah
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 10:46 PM on May. 21, 2009

• puppyThat's hilarious, imagine a cut throat business man saying "Hey! It's a doggie dog world"!

Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 11:12 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Yeah, but "dog eat dog" is implied cannibalism, and I think that's gross. Why would you bring up cannibalism in a business meeting?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:14 AM on May. 22, 2009