What floors should I have in my kids playroom: Wood or Carpet

My husband and I are in the process of renovating our home and we were pretty much set on laminate wood floors all over the house, but now, I am not so sure. My baby is just now trying to pull up and has had a few falls and I am so scared of him hurting himself I have suggested to my DH to have carpet just in his playroom. His main concern is the stains, dust and upkeep of the carpet. I understand this, but I am scared of my baby hurting himself.

What would you guys have in your baby's rooms or playroom (if you had a choice to design your own house)?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Laminate is probably not too hard for baby. My poor kid learned to walk with hard ceramic tile floors all around her :(
    I'd do laminate and put a nice machine-washable area rug in the middle of the room.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 8:42 PM on May. 21, 2009

• We're re-doing our house and we put wood down in the living room, but also put an area rug on top of it for when our daughter starts to crawl. Maybe this would work?
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:43 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I'd suggest wood for clean up ease, and a rug on top of that for bounce control, plus if it gets too messed up it would be cheaper to replace.

Answer by Bmat at 8:45 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Remember..........houses have only had carpeted rooms for a short time. Lots of babies have lived threw hard wood floors :).
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:47 PM on May. 21, 2009

• wood!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:14 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Definately do the laminate. As everyone else suggested get a large area rug. We have it throughout our whole house (bathrooms are tile) and we love it. It's easy to clean and is great if anyone has allergies.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:48 PM on May. 21, 2009

• wood floors... they hurt themselves on carpets just as bad as on laminate hard wood floors because they have bounce in them.

Problems with both carpet and laminate hard wood floors:

carpet: stains easily
    Laminate hard wood floors: very shiny, and shows every little smudge.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:15 AM on May. 22, 2009