Potty Training Boys: Toilet Seat vs Potty Chair?

My son is 13 months. I know hes still a little young but I'm starting to think about it. I was just wondering what works better, the child seat you place over the toilet or placing a potty chair on the bathroom floor? How old was your son when you started potty training? How long was the process take?

JennO2

Asked by JennO2 at 9:17 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are way to early for this especially with a boy. I know tyou hear the occasional hey my son did it this early, but the norm for boys is more like 2 1/2 - 3 years. If you try to early it will discourage them and make the process take longer.

To answer your questiont hough, it depends on your kid really. Alot of kids get scared at first being on the bog potty because they feel out of controll and cant reach the floor. But it is easier cleanup and all if you have one that wont be afraid of that. And it is easier to transport around if you just have the ring thing. Most potty chairs though have the detachable ring that fits on the bg oilet too for transitioning, and I would recomend that at first. Also with boys when learning to stand up to pee it helps to throw a few cheerios in the toilet and teach him to aimn that way. GL
    Anonymous

• my son is also 13 m/o. his grandma couldnt resist buying us a cute potty chair she saw. it's a truck! when "used" it makes backing up beeping sounds lol. and the seat is removable for the big potty, and the truck becomes a step stool! I personally like the potty seats on the floor for starters, since they are within reach, whereas the ones on the potty they have to "climb" up there and might be uncomfy and might not make it on time. jmo. as for when my son will be ready I havent a clue. I'm a 1st time mom. I would think once he understands how to answer to yes and no (you gotta go?) is when he's close to ready.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:25 PM on May. 21, 2009