Anyone know about High Functioning Autism?

I took my son to the doctor today about concerns I was having about my son's behavior. I did some research on it but now that the doctor says that my son fits most of the characteristics of High Functioning Autism its scary. I wasn't really prepared for him to say it....just would like to know if anyone else knows about it first hand or knows someone who does??

thetrivetts

Asked by thetrivetts at 9:21 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son is a child with high functiong autism, although his official diagnostic label at the moment (it has changed several times over the years) is PDD-NOS, but that's only because we have successfully treated many of his more severe symptoms to the point that they are only noticeable to those who know him well or an experienced professional. I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you have and also recommend that you join one of the many autism related groups here on CM. Also, as the previous poster said, have your child re-evaluated by someone who is very familar with the ins & outs of Autism Spectrum Disorders.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:36 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Both my kids have PDD NOS which is a form of autism. My kids are high functioning but were not given diagnosed of HFA because they don't have stims like arm flapping. They both have language delays, sensory issues, behavior issues, and social issues. Get real testing done to confirm and start early intervention ASAP.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 9:25 PM on May. 21, 2009

• When my son was 4 he got physical and occupational therapy for sensory issues. I took him to a developmental doctor and she diagnosed him with a form of mild autism. His physical and occupational therapist went with me, she could see that I was upset and she said ignore what that doctor said. My son is now 16 and has done very will, he's played baseball and basketball up until now and is an honor student. He is very shy, but I think that's just her personality. I was painfully shy up until I was 20 years old, so I think that he gets that form me.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 9:36 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I have it. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I survived 21 years so far with NO therapies or interventions.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:31 PM on May. 21, 2009

• purpleducky : my son has some autism in him he funtions pretty well. the only problems I have with him are he always thinks he's has to win game and everyone has to do what he wants to do,He is 11yrs old. and it doesn't look cute anymore. how can I slowly stop that .I tried so many things but nothing works.. please help me with this. Thank you in advace.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 23, 2009