Do you believe mental illness is disabiling enough to recieve SSI/SSDI?

Do you think mental illness is disabiling? Should a person who suffers from mental illness be "allowed" to recieve disability/social security and other forms of PA? Also, what should be done to help them keep a job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Health

• I think it's weird. I had a friend my age who got SSI, and a friend's abusive ex husband who is a young person too. Because he couldn't work, he didn't have to pay child support to her, and she automatically got welfare. Otherwise, I don't know, I think it would suck to be so off that you can't work!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:27 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I worked in a psychiatrists office part time for 4 years and yes I think mental illnesses are a definitely plausible reasons for disability/social security and other forms of PA. Certain ones have a devastating effect on the person's life  and make it impossible to carry on a normal life. Infact mental illness is the leading cause of being homeless.

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:32 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Yes, absolutely. My nephew on my husbands side is Bipolar along with other mental issues and he cannot function on his own for very long....much less hold a job. He does get SSI and he's only 21yrs old. He still lives with his mom.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:24 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I have depression. Mine is mile and I can function most of the time with help. But I know others who can't. Then you have other illnesses like schizophrenia in which the person has delusions. Not only are these people not able to work but some cannot even live in the community.  Some are able to live with caregivers, but are not able to work. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:21 PM on May. 21, 2009

• It depends on the disorder,how well the disorder is controlled through meds and therapy and it depends on the person.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:51 PM on May. 21, 2009

• For some yes. It depends on the individual case.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:21 AM on May. 22, 2009

• YES. It is a disability by definition.
    jalex

Answer by jalex at 8:12 AM on May. 22, 2009

• well it depends on the severity. i know some people with very mild mental disability's, who have a normal life, hold a job, have a family.. but i also know some people who absolutely could NEVER in a million years hold down a job. its not their fault, and they suffer more than other disabled people, simply because they look normal on the outside. if you are in a wheelchair, will make allowances for you, and help you out if need be. not so for mental disability's. they are much more likely to be shunned by the community, making everything worse.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 8:46 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I think it would depend on the severity and type of mental illness. But they give out those checks for all different reasons. My MIL gets 4 SSI checks cause she and 3 of her kids are deaf and my FIL gets 3 cause he and 2 of his kids are deaf so probably you could get one if you wanted.
    lilmomma090908

Answer by lilmomma090908 at 9:06 AM on May. 22, 2009

• yes I do as I recieve disablility payments for my condition its no different than other disorders or health issues
    momof51ontheway

Answer by momof51ontheway at 10:11 AM on May. 22, 2009