• In the Spotlight:

Is it "bad" if a child remembers having been breastfed?

I've heard many mothers say that they want to wean their children from breastfeeding before they are old enough to remember having been breastfed. Do you agree that it's unhealthy for a child/adult to remember this?

ddbz

Asked by ddbz at 9:34 PM on May. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I really don't see the difference it makes. Breasts serve more of a purpose than making men horny. It never occurred to me my child might be 'damaged' from remembering being breastfed. If anything, I think it would make him more adamant that any of HIS future children be breastfed.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:50 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I don't know one single child who fells 'damaged' from being breastfed. Why would it be unhealthy? Breastfeeding is wonderful experience for the mother and child--nothing bad or unhealthy about it.
    Gilagirl

Answer by Gilagirl at 9:58 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I know a handful of people who remember nursing, and they don't feel that it was bad. That's their experience - I can't speak from experience or speak from others, but it doesn't seem that it would be bad. I remember being yelled at for pooping in my diaper. I was out of diapers at 2.5. So. I would rather remember breastfeeding.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:02 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I only breastfed for a month, but when our toddler noticed "boobs", and I explained to him what they were for, he was satisfied... he still points it out sometimes and asks "milk?" lol. I think it's normal for kids to know what breasts are used for in nature... maybe more people will be more informed and comfortable breastfeeding if breasts aren't associated with nothing but sex.
    Anonymous

• I only know one person who was breastfed to an age where they would remember and he's seriously effed up. Is that why? idk, but it probably had something to do with not cutting the apron strings!
    Anonymous

• Not at all. Naturally, children are meant to wean at a much later time. It's normal. Every study ever conducted says that there are no negative consequences to extended nursing. It's actually the opposite. It's just one more thing they remember. Not a bad memory. Just the taste and comfort of when mommy nursed them.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:19 PM on May. 21, 2009

• if a child is wearied out because of breastfeeding then some thing else was going on at that time. kids find breastfeeding a comfort and a bonding experience. that is it.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:22 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I don't know that it would be bad. I guess it would depend on what type of environment the person was surrounded by as to if it would emotionally scar them or not. Everyone is different! 2 people could both remember being breastfed and each would have a different outlook about it.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 11:22 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Is it unhealthy in countries or cultures where they only have the option to breastfeed? Breastfeeding is one of the most natural things in the world a mother can provide for her child. What about before there was formula? I cannot imagine how it would be considered unhealthy, unless the child is in kindergarten and the mother is still breastfeeding. In that case it is just plain weird.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 11:37 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Since the age of earliest childhood memory varies from person to person, the only way one could be sure their child wouldn't remember would be to not breastfeed them at all. I know my husband remembers being in a cast when he was only one. I remember events (some mundane and some traumatic) from when I was two.
    LunasMama

Answer by LunasMama at 11:40 PM on May. 21, 2009