Why do I have a hard time WANTING to make friends?

Why am I so afraid to make friends? I haven't had any real friends since I moved to NY state 7 years ago. A girl I met while I was going to a depression group gave me her phone number a few weeks ago, and I have yet to call her. I'd really like to invite her to go with me and my dd (10 mos old) to the mall, just to walk around, maybe grab some lunch, etc. But I'm afraid to call her.

What is wrong with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• well since you havent made friends for that long period, perhaps you dont know how to approach her, maybe afraid of rejection? it was nice of her to give you her number! thats a sure sign she'd like to get to know you! go ahead and call her. you dont have to try hard to make conversation, just be yourself and invite her out!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:53 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I hope nothing is wrong with you. I'm the same way!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:05 PM on May. 21, 2009

• perhaps your afraid she will let you down...

where in NY are you from? I live in Western NY.. about 45 minutes from Buffalo, NY.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:38 PM on May. 21, 2009

• sometimes after spending so much time with your baby has made you a bit like a child in their first day of school, don't be afraid just go for it
    KarlaAracely

Answer by KarlaAracely at 12:20 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I feel the same way often times. People say.."lets get together" but we never do lol. I'm always afraid they're going to reject me or they won't like me etc.
    s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 1:07 AM on May. 22, 2009

• My first thought after reading the title ( before even opening post) was possibly depression.. Then I read your Post and you are wanting to meet up with someone from a "depression group". Being depressed takes alot out of you.. Possibly you don't have the energy or ( feel like) the time to get to know people. I am living ( temporarily) in a State that I despise! I have no desire to meet anyone here because I anticipate moving in the Fall... so I get that if you aren't happy then you aren't as quick and willing to put yourself out there and make friends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on May. 22, 2009