Whats The Crazy Things Your Mother,G-Ma,Aunts, Other Woman Tell You That You Should Do With Your Child?

I a young single mother and my son is only a month old but the woman in my family have there own way they think children should be raised. They tell me thing to do that i know the doc. would say no on. Like " You should give that boy cereal hes hungry" and i know full well my son doesnt get cereal yet. Or useing water or suger syrup for stomach aches. I dont want to make them mad but im not going to give my son something the doc says not to. I dont like to take chances with my son. I love him to much. I was just wondering your storys on this and if im not the only one who gets this treatment??????

Tarrin1Mommy

Asked by Tarrin1Mommy at 10:09 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well I listen to everything they told me. I gave my kids cereal. Everything worked. I am not saying that you should do it. I just telling about myself. But they all have had children. They probably gave it to you when you were little. You are fine. But there are some really good crazy tips that work. That the doctors are never going to tell you.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 10:14 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My MIL was tried to force me into giving me then 2mth old cereal... in a bottle! and she thinks im crazy for wanting to rear face past a year, and for harnessing my 4yr old, and because I wont allow my lactose intolerant now 10mth old have any kind of dairy-ie ice cream- she gave him some the other day when I let her babysit and he was throwing up all night this horrible chocolate sour milk smelling throw up, and denies up and down that she gave him anything... agh! Things have just changed so much since their time, and they think you are crazy or "over protective" when you dont agree....
    Anonymous

• My personal experience shows that EVERYTHING My mother or sisters have told me to do, that even though I didnt want to do, worked and now my son is well beyond avrage in most things he does- My son started eating baby food at almost 4 months, was eating table food at 6 months and walking and talking by 8 months- now he is a 14 months and is using 3-5 word sentences.
    My doctor was like "your feeding him baby food!" got upset and everything, but I felt that my son was ready and so did his grandmother- somtimes you have to trust that your parents know what there talking about, because when your baby grows up and has a baby your gonna do the same things! Lol
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 10:26 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Now Im not disagreeing or judging anyone on this...I truely just want to see what people have been told. what did you G-ma Used what did your mom used. i honestly think its interesting.
    Now i stick to the docs orders BC i believe if he telling me this its was put into place for some reason healthy/ unhealthy whatever. I am very close kept to my child. Ive lost one child and i just dont even want to take the chances....but it does interest me and once again dont worry im am the least judgemental...
    Tarrin1Mommy

Answer by Tarrin1Mommy at 10:28 PM on May. 21, 2009

• You have to remember though that when you hold someone down and be over protective it usually ends up only hurting your child-
    When they get older those are the ones that tend to rebel more.
    They didnt write direction manuals for babies because what we do as mothers just comes naturally, you shouldnt ALWAYS listen to your doctor, sometimes you have to go with your gut.
    I would rather my son break his leg climbing the tree I know he shouldnt than hold him back and not watch him have fun-
    Kids get hurt, messy, and are loud... they choke, fall, break bones and will at at least one point in there life say that they hate you-
    But being over protective and following EVERY rule and every direction from your doctor and not listening to your own instincs as a mother isnt gonna make that list any shorter or diff for you- so you might as well let them have fun, eat hotdogs (lol) climb trees and play outside in the rain!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 10:37 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My MIL tried to get me to give my daughter an ice bath when she had a fever. About 20 years ago, they recommended that because they didn't understand it could send a system into shock. Now, however, most people know better. That's the only one I can think of that was unrealistic. When we started baby food my MIL yelled at me for it, because she was too young. The next day, she gave her ice cream. So I don't really take her opinion seriously.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:40 PM on May. 21, 2009