Is it ADD or just bullheadedness?

Okay, I know every parent, at some point, has questioned whether or not their child's frustrating behavior is due to some mental disorder. They are, after all, kids, & what is their purpose if not to test our limits? But sometimes I really think my daughter might have something making it hard for her to focus, & if she really is struggling, I want to help her. She doesn't seem any more restless than other 7-year-olds. When it comes to things like doing chores & homework, she literally cannot focus for more than a minute or 2. I have to try to isolate her from her siblings at homework time, but then she gets bored with it & starts playing games with her pencil. Over & over. It literally took her 2 hours to get her clothes folded because she just sits there & whines & dinks around sooo much. I get so sick of reminding her & yelling at her. I've tried sitting & talking it out with her, as she's very smart, but no luck yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on May. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You could have her evaluated if your concerned. There's a new one to add to the list of ADD and ADHD, it's ODD. Oppositional Defiant Disorder. Google it. They have a medical term for everything now.

By the way she sounds exactly like my 7 yr old. Even if we took everything out of her room she would play with her shadow instead of doing what she is supposed to. We have her in counseling now and she's doing better but still easily distracted.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:18 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Sounds just like the age. Almost always, yelling at a child just doesn't work. Try setting up a reward system for completing tasks such as doing her homework and doing her chores. Sometimes kids just need motivation to do things they don't want to do. If I didn't get paid to go to work, i wouldn't go. As long as the reward system is used as a reward system and not as punishment, if she completes the tasks, she gets the reward (a sticker on a chart that so many add up to something enjoyable maybe) and if she doesn't complete the task, no reward. Try this and i really think something positive will come of it.
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 11:04 PM on May. 21, 2009

• ODD isn't new. It's been around for quite some time.

If her behavior isn't that way at school or in other settings, it's her being bullheaded. ADD, ADHD, ODD are consistent in all areas of life, not just in the home.

If my son doesn't do as he's told, he gets put in the corner until he decides to comply. (standing, nose towards the corner) Once he says he will do as he's told, he can leave the corner...and if he doesn't get busy, right back to the corner.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:07 AM on May. 22, 2009