Please Help! 19month old i-teeth coming in, sick?

I know its been said its a myth about them getting sick from having their I-Teeth come in... but since my little man's have been coming in... He had diarrhea the last week of April and he gets over this... but then the first week of May he had a fever of 101.5-102... so I take him to the ER because it was the only thing open, and they said it didn't look Bacterial so antibiotics wouldn't do anything.. He just got over that a couple days ago... now he's back to having diarrhea... Somebody please help. He's been so miserable. Just let me know if your child has done the same, and I'm just worrying too much that it could be something else.

ElliotsMomma19

Asked by ElliotsMomma19 at 10:20 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First, that is NO reason to take your child to the ER. A fever of 102 barely calls for antibiotics. And, yes they sometimes do get diarrhea and a slight fever when they are teething. Give him some Motrin and avoid the ER unless the fever is 105 or higher.
    Anonymous

• Diarrhea and fever are both common with teething. So is a runny nose. I would guess because of all the extra drool. Just make sure he stays hydrated. Hope he feels better soon.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:29 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I took him to the ER because I was worried. He had JUST gotten over having diarrhea, barely a day or so then a fever starts up. And I gave him Motrin and Tylenol... Tylenol didn't work and Motrin barely did.
    ElliotsMomma19

Answer by ElliotsMomma19 at 10:32 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Take him to his regular doctor for symptoms like that, not the ER. The ER is for emergencies, not a fever of 101-102 and diarrhea...unless he's dehydrated
    Anonymous

• Like I stated, the ER was the only thing open, it was 10pm. So I could've waited to see if it got worse, or waited until 8am to take him to the doctor. Oh and this is also my first and only child, I'm new at this.
    ElliotsMomma19

Answer by ElliotsMomma19 at 10:42 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My kids got diareah with teething too. Sometimes a fever also it is normal. You can give tylenol for the pain at night and of course the fever.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 11:06 PM on May. 21, 2009

• ohh and don't listen to anon. shes obviously just a *****. If you feel like YOU need to bring YOUR child to the ER, go for it. Better safe than sorry. I think you did the right thing. Usually you wait to see if the tylenol helps and wait a day or two. But it sounds like you did that, so just trust your mommy instincts. Children can take a higher fever than adults, but if you are really worried, thats what the ER is for....pay her no mind.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 11:10 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Thanks! Thats the whole reason I took him. I was worried and it eased my mind.
    ElliotsMomma19

Answer by ElliotsMomma19 at 11:18 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Actually ERs are for emergencies and are abused nowadays. It takes away from the actual sick patients.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on May. 22, 2009

• My dd almost always gets an ear infection when she is teething. She doesn't run much of a fever or anything but those ears...I also agree that you did the right thing...hope this passes for you soon...
    TatersMom2006

Answer by TatersMom2006 at 1:46 AM on May. 22, 2009