Cherry Eye

I just found out my puppy has cherry eye. Is it ok that I put antibiotics in his eye? How much is surgery? Please help I am very worried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Pets

• I've never heard of cherry eye, what is it?
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:24 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My Cocker has one. If you google it, you can find out how to try and put it back in by yourself. It might work. My Cocker has one, but he is older and it's not bad, so we are just leaving it that way. If it becomes inflamed or larger, you will need to have your dog looked at.
    Anonymous

• Can you call your vet for advise or an emergency vet if yours is closed? In my newspaper there a vet Dr. Fox who writes an animal health column. Maybe try too to look up his name and the word vet after it, maybe he has a website that can help you. Actually I think his name is Dr. Michael Fox. It's definitely that Fox is his last name. I think too that you should call your own vet or e r vet since you used human antibiotics in his eye. How'd you figure out it's Cherry Eye? I don't know any thing at all about that either.
    Anonymous

• If you took your dog into a vet they would check the eye for scratches and then start a cortisone ointment to reduce the swelling to prepare it for a successful surgery. Surgery for Cherry eye is fairly routine. The cost would greatly depend on your location and any options that give you. If you plan on getting your puppy spayed/neutered they will most likely be able to do it at the same time and that may save you some money. Call your family vet and see if the can give you an estimate over the phone but you will most likely have to bring the puppy in for then to examine first. I would not stress to much over it though if you can't get if fixed right away it will probably not cause to much of a problem. The condition is very common in some breeds and is easy to fix.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:42 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Cherry eye is a swelling of the gland in the third eyelid. It looks like there is a little piece of pink flesh protruding out of the inside corner of the pets eye. Surgery involves either removing the gland or cutting a 'pocket' into the third eyelid and tucking it in before sewing the 'pocket' closed with the gland inside hopefully keeping it down and out of sight.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:46 AM on May. 22, 2009

• ~*~My Cocker had one and we had it removed our vet charged us$40..00 dollors and he is doing very well ~*~
    queeniepoo

Answer by queeniepoo at 4:07 PM on May. 23, 2009