Whole Cows Milk

So my question is do you think it's bad to give your child cows milk before ONE years old? I know the doctors say not to..but my daughter is 8 and a half months old. I've been nursing her since she was born but I know i'm not producing much milk anymore. She always wants to eat. I don't know if she's not getting enough milk, just wants the comfort from teething, or is a botomless pit! lol. I know she's not starving because she's a very healthy, chunky baby! She was 9 lbs 3 oz at birth! So please let me know what you think? My mother gave me and all my siblings cows milk at about 8 months. That was like 20 years ago though. I just don't want the hassle of switching to formula for 3 months and than cows milk. It seems pointless. Thank You!! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't. She is getting plenty if she is that chunky. Try giving her some water in a tippy cup. Nurse her as needed. It sounds like she is going through a growth spurt maybe.
    Anonymous

• I am willing to bet you will have a lot of digestion problems and perhaps some bowel problems if you start now. The stomach isn't designed to break down the proteins in cows milk until closer to a year. We started introducing milk slowly at about 11.5 months with both of ours. They transitioned fine. My sister in law tried her son on milk at 9 months, and he was suddenly very gassy and had diarrhea for a few days and he acted like he had tummy cramps. That was the only thing they had changed within about a week, so she assumes it was the milk. The doctors said it was very likely the milk. Nurse as best as you can, and supplement with other foods. Perhaps you can pump between feedings to try to up your supply?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:45 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Well, i didn't breast feed, so at about 8 months i switched my kids from their normal formula to the next step or milk based formula for a few weeks than switched them to regular whole cows milk. They didn't have a problem with it at all. At first, i warmed it up a bit, and then they got used to it cold. By 10 months i suppose they were just drinking normal cows milk all the time. The concern with milk and any other drinks or food before a certain age is allergies. A lot of children who get food allergies is because they were introduced to things like milks, eggs, strawberries, peanut butter etc before the recommended age. I suppose it is a risk, i'd say if u have a real concern about this, you should talk more to your doctor about this switch or maybe even trying some of the milk based formulas first.
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 10:48 PM on May. 21, 2009

• NO cow milk before AT LEAST 1 yr. If baby is gaining properly and having enough wet/dirty diapers, there's no reason to believe you aren't making enough milk. Just keep nursing. It's best for her. If you do stop nursing, you HAVE to use formula for AT LEAST 1 year. Cow milk is useless for babies and kids. See a lactation consultant about your concerns cause a doctor isn't trained to help with these problems.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:16 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I've also been deciding whether or not to switch to cow's milk. My baby's Dr. told us to start at 10 months, but since we've switched Dr.'s so I am going to ask her new Dr. what she says. My mom also said she started all of us kids at 8-9 mo. and we are all just fine. I'm thinking I probably will but mix it with the formula 1/2 and 1/2 in the bottles until she gets used to it. It won't be one day formula the next day cow's milk.
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 11:27 PM on May. 21, 2009

• That is basically what I did with my oldest. If you do research (proper research, not look at studies done by companies owned by companies that own formula companies) you will see that it usually isn't a problem. You just have to make sure the baby has a well balanced diet of solids and watch for indications of problems (like with anything else).
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:30 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My son is hungry all the time too.. I had to up his solids intake.. I nurse him quite a bit but when nursing isn't doing the trick, I feed him cereal and fruit, vegetables, or a dinner and he's a happy camper. (he's a healthy boy too.. nearly 9 months and wearing 12-18month clothes!!!)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:53 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Keep nursing. I think 8 months is too early. I would increase solids and add a little juice or water. If you thing it is a comfort thing, try snuggling and rocking. The less you nurse, the less supply you have and you will end up not producing milk at all.
    I got pregnant with my second when my DD was 11 months old and I was still nursing her, and at that point I had to stop. Then her ped. said it was ok to switch to milk because she was so close to the one year mark.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 12:27 AM on May. 22, 2009

• we started giving our son milk at about 10 months we just gave him a little bit like a couple of ounces at a time to see how it was on his belly it was fine so we just slowly swiched from his gentle ease formula to milk. most doctors say wait till their a year but you know your baby and could tell if their ready follow YOUR instinct
    chelci

Answer by chelci at 12:51 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Eight months is really too early. And she's SUPPOSED to be a bottomless pit. Are you nursing before solids? Make sure to do so as it will keep your supply up.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:25 AM on May. 22, 2009