brown blood....

well today I went to the doctors..I was 2/3 centimeters dialated (she wasnt exact) and she stripped my membranes. Now I have brown blood in my panties. I think i may also be having contactions. Have any of you gotten your membranes stripped and then gone into labor? Did you bleed red or brown. Because it hurt when she did it and I think maybe she just scraped me and thats why there blood...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That is what she did. She SCRAPED out your cervix to make you start labor. It speeds things up.
    If you are ready it can make you go into labor. I had it done three times and still didn't go into labor. The blood is normal.
    Anonymous

• brown blood is old- it could just be old blood from implantation or blood from stripping your membrains- If your contractions get 4 mins apart than go to your L&D center- but if you only "think" your having contractions theres prolly a good chance your not, but its diff for everyone, sometimes people dont even know there in labor so relax and time what your feeling.
    As for the blood-I wouldnt worry, its old, it if was red than you worry
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 10:48 PM on May. 21, 2009

• That's completely normal. She should have told you that spotting could happen. Also if you are contracting than the blood could just be some "bloody show" which is a labor sign.

Brown blood is old blood but that can be hours old, days old or months old so it probably just some blood that took a bit to come out after the membranes were stripped.

Many women do go into labor after having membranes stripped. After all that is the point. It often takes 3-4 times but work in just one try for many women.

This is a good time to relax and rest before the contractions become intense. When they do wait until they are 4 minutes apart for 1 hour and last 1 minute long. Then go to the hospital or birthing center.
    Anonymous

• it was labor!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on May. 26, 2009