The hospital nurse kind of freaked me out.......what do you think

My son just cut his first tooth a couple days ago and now his second is coming. He cried and screamed all day, so I called the on call nurse number and told them. I mostly called just to get the dose for motrin since the tylenol wasn't working. Anyways, she said that she could hear him and it sounded like it was more than teething, and if he didn't stop crying in an hour take him to the ER. So, now I don't know. I was sure it was his teeth hurting because nothing else seemed wrong. Do the nurses overreact so that they won't get in trouble if something is really wrong? Or is it actually something to worry about?

(his ears are fine and he pooped today, so it's not that)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know about nurses. No harm in listening to her. But I do know my son used to scream alot. :)
    Anonymous

• I am surprised she gave you that advice. Here, the nurses are not allowed to give advice over the phone even if it wasn't asked for. It is to ensure somebody doesn't sue, I am sure. You may want to take him just in case. He could have a tummy ache or he may have the beginnings of an ear infection. I never know when my kids have ear infections or not. They don't pull on their ears, and their ears don't look any different to my eyes. But if he is still crying so badly even with tylenol, perhaps there is something else amiss and it couldn't hurt to get him checked. Does you pediatrician have an on call nurse or an after hours line?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:49 PM on May. 21, 2009

• So take him to the ER like she suggested...
    Anonymous

• there are 24 nurse hotlines that give advice if the office is closed...the only thing I can say is that you know your baby...a screaming baby might just be a fusser to some and vice versa....take his temp, make sure nothing is visible that could be hurting him and the motrin dosage is on the box...anyway, motrin is suggested for babies over 6 months but it does work better than tylenol...my DD has been the same way for the last couple of days....she ended up being really congested with a cold and fever....I would give the Motrin and see how he does overnite...also, the Hylands teething tablets work really good for my DD as well. Good luck to you and your little one:)
    If he's still that miserable in the morning, I would take him to the doc....in reality, you'll probably sit in the ER for hours anyway.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:53 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I'm a nurse and I don't think I over react!? But I guess I can not answer that question fairly LOL but on that same not I needed to mention this.. if your baby is less then 6months old or less then 16 pounds I WOULD NOT give him or her ibuprofen I have seen at least 10 NEC (thats necrotizing enterocolotis or gange green of the gut) case which ended very sadly as a result of ibuprofen use .. if you are breast feeding YOU can take some ibuprofen and the baby will get relief without the adverse effect.... also something chewy to chew on....like those rubber finger things to clean the tooth rub the gum with it in you and let baby chew it
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:53 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Can you call his pediatrician to make that she gave you the right advice?
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 10:53 PM on May. 21, 2009

• OP here....

The number I called was the emergency # for the ped. office. They send the info to children's hospital, and a nurse calls back.
    Anonymous

• Oh OK. Well, I would say take him in if you are really concerned about it. Does it seem like he is more upset than he should be for the tooth pain? If he just cut his first one, you should have a decent frame of reference to how he may react to this second one.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:10 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Orajel and teething tablets worked great for us plus a little tylenol and either a cold rag or a cold teething ring. You know your baby best and will know if something else is wrong. Like previously stated it could also be ear infection, my daughter just had it and did not have a fever, was not pulling at her ears or anything, but had a cold and cough and so I took her in and that's what they found. So not all babies show signs of ear pain even when it's there. Hope ur little one feels better soon!
    Anonymous

• Orajel and motrin.. teething HURTS! If you got your wisdom teeth.. do you remember how bad they hurt coming in? I'd be screaming too! If the orajel and motrin don't work after an hour THEN I'd consider taking him in.. until then, trust your instincts mama! (Also put a teething ring or a wet washcloth in the freezer and let him chew on it..)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:50 PM on May. 21, 2009