Poor? Pay Up.

You have to be rich to be poor.

That's what some people who have never lived below the poverty line don't understand.

Put it another way: The poorer you are, the more things cost. More in money, time, hassle, exhaustion, menace. This is a fact of life that reality television and magazines don't often explain.

So we'll explain it here. Consider this a primer on the economics of poverty.

here is the link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/17/AR2009051702053.html?g=0

do you believe that the poor pay more for things then rich people? Does it make you have a different perspective on poor people and how they live?

please read full article before answering the questions.

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 11:06 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It sucks being poor, however, very few people in this country live in abject poverty. Having less income DOES cause headaches and is VERY inconvenient.
    Been there, done that.
    I have lived through some things that some people would find very aggravating, and other people have lived through some things that I would consider a big pain in the but. That is the human condition.
    When I was younger, I took several nutrition classes and getting proper nutrition isn't that difficult, though some people may not know how.I, too, am disgusted with food prices. We st aside a certain amount a week to run the house, and I am PO d at how little is left after I buy groceries.
    How many people EVER accidentally came out of "poverty"?
    No one, and it is a pain changing your circumstances, if it wasn't, EVERYONE would do it, and ideally, it would only take a minute. Yes, people need hope, but it can be done, because people have done it.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:21 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Yes and No.

This are indeed more expensive in regards to time, hassle and transportation ect. However, when someone is on assistance, they're receiving help for those things, so it's the working folks that are actually paying more.

There are some people too "rich" for assistance but too poor to make ends meet in reality.  For them, I'd say this article is true.  The federal minimum wage hasn't been looked at in over 10 years.  I think that would certainly help some people rise above poverty.

I wouldn't poo-poo on the middle class either.  We aren't eligible for assistance and aren't applicable to many scholarships, grants and loans simply based on our income.  We struggle and many of us never get to go to college because we can't afford it, while people who ARE eligible for help because they making less get assistance, medicaid and scholarships grants for FREE.

Anonymous

• I think that while yes, it is more expensive to live this way...this article is full of excuses. What about the people who make the time to do things right? I do not accept that these people cannot change thier lives. No, because I was once poor. We gave up things, everything. If people loose the sense of entitlement and actually try really hard, it can happen for you. Perserverance and determination go a long way.
    Anonymous

• Oh, yeah. It's definitely true. It is a tough row to hoe, often making it impossible for people to get ahead.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:32 PM on May. 21, 2009

• http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/17/AR2009051702053.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on May. 22, 2009

• butt
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:23 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Wow, Grace, that's about the best answer I've seen from you. Good Job!

For the first time, I agree with Grace!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:57 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Being poor can not be the excuse of saying _ I can take break from working now, because I started to work when I was 16 years old , it is time to use PA. Everybody needs to take personal responsibility.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Grace I am impressed at your answer. And I agree completely.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:51 AM on May. 22, 2009

• That's great, but my answers are always good.

I always tell it like it is, some people just don't want to hear it.
    And that's okay.........................
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:54 AM on May. 22, 2009