when do you know when u are ready to switch to formula?

I have 6 and 9 yr old plus my 2.5 month old. Breastfeeding is getting more time consuming. she nurses for 15 min. then starts to cry. I burp her and she refuses my breast. I give her formula and she drinks 4oz and content after that. If i keep her away from the bottle she screams till i give it to her. I dont pump enough to keep up w/ her. At times im ready to switch, but at others, Im not ready to let go. I miss being prego and taking care of us eating right, exc... I am confused and wondering if im not producing enough for her. shes great as far as her weight! just not satisfied. Im really sad about the whole sisuation. Why is she refusing me when I can get milk out of me and she wont drink it? I know its not my diet

daisy6878

Asked by daisy6878 at 11:19 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't ever have to give formula! I agree that it may be nipple confusion. I would try to stop the bottles period, then they baby would nurse on you just fine, and the more you actually nurse, the more you produce, so there would be no question if they baby is getting enough milk.
    Mama2HannahLynn

Answer by Mama2HannahLynn at 4:23 PM on May. 26, 2009

• There are lots of things that can cause fussiness and the breast. They can be rememdied.

To be honest the biggest problem is probably the bottle because it flows faster than the breast and that can cause some nipple confusion and frustration at the breast. Also every bottle you give is less demand at the breast so that's less milk you are making.

Breastfeeding can be extremely frustrating some times but it's something that only YOU can do and it's SO important. Try to stick it out if you can. There are lots of breastfeeding support groups here on Cafemom that can help you fix the fussiness at the breasts issue.

Try the group simply called "Breastfeeding." It's full of VERY knowledgable women.

And remember you've come this far & that's something to be VERY proud of. I breastfed for 2 years and I wouldn't change it for the world but any amount of breastfeeding is beneficial. You continue those benefits with help!
    Anonymous

• See a lactation consultant. Breastfeeding.com has a list of them. There's no need to bottle feed at all. If you nurse on demand exclusively and baby has enough wet/dirty diapers, you're making enough. Supplementing (especially so much for such a young baby) is bad for your supply since it goes by demand and baby can't demand it if she's full of hard to digest formula. Stop the bottles and see a lactation consultant. Bottles won't save you any more time. You'll spend more time, making, packing, and washing bottles plus feeding.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:07 AM on May. 22, 2009

• i would have to agree with the other women. if i were you i would immediately join one of the groups here (there are many) on breastfeeding.
    supplementing so much is sure to hurt your supply, but its completely possible to boost the amount of milk you make.
    the reason babies who get fed formula seem less hungry than breastfed babies is that formula is difficult to digest (think of the last time you had a rich, heavy meal).
    if you give bottles, because its much easier to get milk from a bottle, when you put them back to the breast, they refuse to feed because they have to do more work to get fed (this is actually beneficial, as it helps them exercise the facial muscles they use for smiling and eating)
    this is called 'nipple confusion' but it really should be called 'nipple preference'
    on average too, by the time a baby is 3 months, its actually quicker to breastfeed than it is to give a bottle, not including washing/preparing
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 12:25 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Sounds like nipple preference. If you stop giving the bottle, she will eventually get past it. Pop her in a sling and let her go to town.

Up to you on switching to formula. I personally wouldn't; this is just a bump in the road.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:49 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I think it is your choice when to stop. Dont let others guilt you into it. I know plenty of moms who only gave their kids formula and the kids are just fine. I breast fed all of my kids, but my 3 youngest got breast milk and formula. I worked and couldnt pump there, plus my babysitter refused to touch pumped milk. So I breast fed when I could and used formula when I couldnt. Its kinda the best of both worlds there.Baby wont get nipple confusion if you breast feed on a regular basis.
    5isenoughforme

Answer by 5isenoughforme at 1:40 AM on May. 22, 2009

• wow, 5isenoughforme, you sound very defensive. no one it trying to guilt anyone, when i read the responses, and all i see is concerned mothers who want to try to help a fellow breastfeeding mother who has hit a rough patch.
    anyone who says "Baby wont get nipple confusion if you breast feed on a regular basis. " has either had a very unusually good nursing/bottlefeeding experience, or hasnt ever done it. seeing as you have, id say you got very lucky, but that doesnt mean the OP is as lucky as you-especially as the things she is describing definitely sound like nipple preference/confusion
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Babies have to work at getting milk from the breast. It's a natural flow so its slow and easy. Bottles are quick gratification. It simply pours down their throats. You are letting her be lazy when you give her a bottle. Stop the formula and pump more. But keep up with the nursing.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 5:48 AM on May. 22, 2009