how can I get my child to speak clearly?

My son is a year and a half. He says so much.....I just cant understand him. He is so incredibly smart, and he points to everything nd mumbles like he knows what it is, he just cant get the words out. Im not sure if he just isnt trying to say words, or if he cant. I sit down with him and try to sound things out with him, and he understands things like, "Where is your pacifier"? If I say that, then he runs and gets it, and when I ask him questions...he shakes his head yes or no. We dont have any Insurance, so I dont want to go and get him checked out if it doesnt sound like there is a problem. Is there anything else I can do or do I need to take him to a Dr?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Having a binky in their mouth can hinder speech sometimes.I'd take it away or have him take it out of his mouth when he trys to talk.Speeking more then one language to him can also confuse a child and they combind words together.He also could have a hearing problem and just can't make everything out that is being told to him.He could have a speech inpediment.If you or someone arounds you "baby talks" to him he could be repeating it back to you.All children speack their owne language and we have to dissiffer it.I hope that one of these helps you.Have him try and slow down when he speaks.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 11:40 PM on May. 21, 2009

• sounds like my son at that age. and now he's 2 1/2 and saying sooo many words and sentences. i think he'll get the hang of it, just give him some time. all kids are different!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 11:44 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Imo u should've taken that binky away when he turned one it may have something 2 do with the speech problem, but if u or anyone else baby talks to him then that could be a factor and it will only take longer for him 2 establish proper pronunciation (think I misspelled that sorry)
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 11:48 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Every child is different. When he's ready to talk he will talk. My son is the same age as yours and he say a lot of things i can understand and things i can't. I was concerned and ask the doctor should i be worried he said no he knows exactly what he's doing. On the no insurance issue try to go to your local county building and you can maybe get medicaid for the baby. Good luck and keep praticing w/him. Give him time he will come around. If he continues to do the same things after he turns 2 then maybe you can talk to someone. I have 3 boys and all of them started talking at different times.
    dabadstmom

Answer by dabadstmom at 11:52 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Time and patience.
    Over the coming YEARS, he will learn to make all the different sounds of the English language. Many kids who are 5 still can't make all of them.
    Remember, hearing is different than speech. You can hear and appreicate lots of music, can't you? Can you play all of it (or any of it) on any insturment? Of course not.
    Neither can he. He is still learning to "play" his voice. He has to learn to coordiinate his breath, his lips, his tounge, his teeth. It takes time. Stop trying to force him to say things "right" and let him enjoy being able to make himself understood at all. The more you correct him, the more pressure you put on him, the more likely he is to stop speaking or develop a stutter. By 30 months, you should understand about 50% of what he says. By 36 months, that will be 90%. Of course, strangers will understand less.

And the binky doesn't matter. It's an old wives tale.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:58 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Your son is still pretty young and shouldn't be expected to speak clearly.

If you know what he is pointing to and hear his mangled version of the word, just do like we did: Say, " Your ball?" (if he is saying ba) Then repeat the word over and over in a sentence. I used to tell my son to look at me when I said the word correctly. That way he could see my lips and tongue and how the word is formed.

My son is over two and can't seem to say the word "two"! He can say "blue" with real clarity, and other rhyming words of two, but for some reason that word is coming out sounding like a French word! LOL

Keep up the work. If he reaches two and still is having a lot of trouble, a speech therapist recommended by his pediatrician may help.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:00 AM on May. 22, 2009

• He sounds normal to me. Every child learns at diffrent paces. But if you are concerned I would just have him check out. But he does sound very normal for his age.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 12:05 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Kids do alot of different things with their speech! Some errors are appropriate for their age and are not expected to be spoken well until the child is older. Ex. When you are three years old, you can be expected to use the p,b,m sounds correctly, but probably not the s or r sounds. Sometimes the kids will do other things with their sounds. They leave the ending sound off the word or replaceone sound with another.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 1:17 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Get rid of the pacifier as that can make things difficult. At 18 months though that sounds very normal. Keep talking and talking to them about everythign you do. My kids get a full commentary while getting dressed. "lets put your shirt on, over your head it goes, right arm in, left arm in" you get the picture. As long as you keep talking to him he will eventually get clearer. My 4 year old spoke much less at 18 months then his 2 year old sister did and I attribute a lot of that to the fact that it was only me talkng to him all day and she had DH and brother talking to her all day. If this is your only child then they tend to develop language slower if not in daycare settings.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:03 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Agree with kaycee14. Just a baby still, we can't expect them to speak clear as adults or older children.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on May. 22, 2009