My doctor is tripping!

I just recovered from an injury and I had a feeling i would gain weight from being immobilized for those 4 months
I was already overweight...i weigh 284 now
I'm 14 weeks and when i went to my first doctors visit the other day she told me that she wants me to try not to gain more weight

She said I can only drink ONE cup of juice a day regardless if its 100% juice or not also not to drink any pop even if its caffeine free which i can live with because I'm not really a pop drinker or "soda" as some of you call it and to stay away from sugary snacks

When i told my aunt this she told me her doctor never told her that about only drinking one cup of juice a day or no pop at all so I'm wondering if any of you have gotten that from your doctors?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Shes right- Im sorry but they want women that are of avrage weight to gain 25-30 lbs during pregnancy but us heafty women dont need to gain because were already ahead of the game- you have enough fat cells that baby can use-
    I weighed180 when I got pregnant and my doctor told me not to gain another lb- I ate good, walked, jogged and lifted weights...
    My son was born 7lbs 8 oz and I actually LOST weight during my pregnancy went in 180 came out 160!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 11:38 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I don't think any of this sounds unreasonable at all!

Juice is pure sugar and it's MUCH better to just eat a piece of fruit. I am over weight as well. My doctor has me eating a diet with very little sugar, whole grains, lean protiens (75-80 grams), 2 servings of green leafy veggies, 2 servings of vitamin c foods, and 1 serving of a vitamin a food.

She also has me working out 5 days a week.

I've only gained 6 pounds this pregnancy and my baby is growing just fine. He's estimated to weight about 4 pounds now and I'm 33 weeks pregnant.

I would NOT say your doctor is tripping. I would say he wants you to have a healthy pregnancy.

Check out http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/ for information on a healthy pregnancy diet.
    Anonymous

• I was average to slightly under weight for my height when I got pregnant with my first and my doctor said to lay off the Juice because it's full of sugar you don't need, even 100% juice. It's better to eat fruits and vegetables and get your vitamins etc. that way. They didn't really say anything specifically about soda to me, but it's not really good for you to drink at all, it's just empty calories.
    Anonymous

• I've been craving watermelon everyday and because its on sale i've been buying them and eating it a lot...is it possible to eat TOO much watermelon? lol considering I was told its high in sugar
    Anonymous

• Your doctor is completely right. You don't need juice. Drink a glass of water and eat a piece of fruit instead. Your doctor isn't tripping, and your aunt, while she has the best of intentions, probably isn't as reliable as your doctor.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:44 PM on May. 21, 2009

• You don't want gestational diabetes.
    Anonymous

• Watermelon contains a lot of water hence the name "watermelon".
    Anonymous

• You can have watermelon. It's 90% water and the sugar content isn't more than an apple so not to worry. WHOLE FRUITS are ok. You just need to stay away from the fruit JUICE.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the doc. No one needs juice. It's packed with sugar. Water all the way baby!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:50 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Watermelon is more water than anything. You find more sugar per pound in pears than watermelon I do believe. All I wanted with my first was watermelon!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:52 PM on May. 21, 2009