What can I expect during my C-Section?

I will be having a C-Section for delivering my twin boys. I am wondering what to expect during the opperation? I will be awake and I am alittle scared of the opperation. Can anyone tell me what to expect during this C-Section? Thanks

lilmamaof209

Asked by lilmamaof209 at 11:45 PM on May. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I can understand that you are scared about the C-section but it is perfectly safe and much better for your health.You can expect to feel very numb from shoulder on down after they put the medication down the back vertabrae.I had a c-section with both of my children and it was better for me because that way I did not feel the labor pains.They did it real fast at the hospital.Like I said I did not hear any pains only thing I felt was a little bit of pressure.If you have any more questions you can send me a note.God Bless and good luck
    Mandy1974

Answer by Mandy1974 at 11:59 PM on May. 21, 2009

• You will have an epidural or a spinal which will probably be done right in the operating room. Then they will lay you on the table and probably strap your arms down (safety procaution). Then they will pinch you tummy with a pair of twizers to make sure your numb. They will make an incision and you may feel lots of pressure but shouldn't feel any pain. They will show the babies to you over the curtain as long as immediate medical attention isn't required and you may be able to hold both of them in the delivery room depending on hospital regulations.

Then they will close the incision and you will be taken to recovery. Ask to have your boys in the recovery room with you so you can intiate breastfeeding as soon as possible.

GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

• Why are you having a c-section? Is the baby closest to the cervix breech?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on May. 22, 2009

• For mine I had an epidural and they numbed me from that, some ppl have a spinal which is a little different. They put a blue sheet up for sterilization and so you can't see what they are doing. Some places strap your arms straight out, the anesthesiologist and his/her assistant is right there by your head and they can give you meds through your IV if you start feeling nauseated and stuff they will keep putting warm blankets on your chest if you are cold and have your SO by your side. Some ppl say they can feel the tugging and stuff as they are trying to get the baby out, I was numb enough that I didn't feel a thing. I was scared to death to have the c-section but in the end it wasn't really that bad. I had an awesome Dr. and nurses and they were always telling me what was going on. I had a very good experience. Ask questions as they are doing it if you have any. Good luck and get your rest while in the hospital!!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 12:03 AM on May. 22, 2009

• You will have to get into a hospital gown as soon as you come in. The nurses will go over a lot of paperwork with you and place you on the monitor to check the babies' heart beats and such. Then they will probably prep the area down there (shave you, clean off your stomahc and groin) and place a rubber tube into your bladder to drain urine, it isn't painful, but you do kind of feel pressure there. Then they will take you into the OR where they will give you a spinal or epidural injection into your spine to numb you. They will place you on the monitor and spread a big sheet over the area to block your view. They will also place some straps over your arms, just so you don't accidentally get in their way or touch something you aren't supposed to. Your SO can be there too. You'll feel them kind of repositioning you and you'll feel tugging on your sides but no pain really. Just relax and good luck.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 12:25 AM on May. 22, 2009

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-wULAaD50

So sad :(
    Anonymous