Should you secretly tape your sitter every now and then?

I'm returning back to work after being a SAHM for my DS. He's 10 months and I'm VERY nervous about leaving him. Well... Terrified! I'm having nightmares about it. We met the sitter, did all the background checks, and she seems wonderful. We've even talked to other parents and they love her. But I'm still terrified. He can't talk yet (of course) so I'm terrified something will happen to him and he won't be able to tell me. That is what I keep replaying in my mind. Is there anyone who has gone through this recently or been there? What did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can't work for this very reason. You'd have just reason for getting a nanny cam.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:31 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I would feel just like you if I had to leave my son.

Look on Google for "nanny cam". They have some ingenious cameras you can hide in plants and even toys.

You better believe I would monitor her! She is a stranger who has good word of mouth references. That's all. It's your home and your child. If for some reason she finds out you have been taping her, and throws a fit, that goes to show she was doing something (or thinking about it) she shouldn't have.

I keep remembering a news show I saw years ago before I even wanted a child that had a babysitter being taped because the parents suspected something was going on. It showed her doing some really mean and disgusting things. Even though she presented a Mary Poppins front to the parents.

Bottom line....get the surveillance.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:35 AM on May. 22, 2009

• You can always hook up your webcam and just check i on her from work everyday =)
    Emberbaby

Answer by Emberbaby at 12:39 AM on May. 22, 2009

• If you don't trust your baby sitter than stay home! Getting a nanny cam is stupid and disrespectful!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on May. 22, 2009

• It might be worth doing, even if just for a short time, to ease your mind. I have a 9 month old, and I would PANIC if I had to work full time! Congrats on the new job, I hope it works out, and I hope your sitter turns out to be fantastic (and your son lights up every day when you come home)! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:18 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I WOULD DEFENITELY INVEST IN A NANNY CAM.

Answer by older at 8:26 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I would. I don't trust people with my kids,...so I stay home, but if I had to work youd better believe I would have no problem doing that. I might even tell her that she might be monitored from time to time. As long as she agrees to it, then there will be no problems. In fact, I might even have her sign a contract for services and have that as a clause in there. Just to cover your own butt anyway. Even if shes not neglectful, she might do something that you wouldnt do or something that you want her to do a different way. Just a thought, but nevertheless, I think that as a parent, you have that right.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:08 AM on May. 22, 2009