what age should a pacifier be taken away?

My son is a year and a hlaf. He had become ADDICTED to his pacifier. He used to never want it during the day, just at night to go to bed with. Now, if he sees while he eats, he cries for it. If he sees it at all...he cries for it. People are critisizing me for letting him keep it. They tell me he is too old. But how old is "too old"? I dont plan on having a child like the ones you see running around at 3 years with a pacifier in their mouth, but Right now, I feel like its his "comfort" and I feel bad for taking it away from him. When I tried to take it from him, he looked at me like he was hurt by it...so it made me feel bad. I just need some advice.....

BrittanyShay

Asked by BrittanyShay at 12:31 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like the time is now, mama. You said it yourself that his addiction is escalating.

Better to nip this in the bud.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:41 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Before it was ever started! Throw them all away! Just do it, then RE DIRECT him! Just say "No" ! How do you handle fits at your house? Say "No, fits! Time out." Set his bum in the corner for 2 minutes, he can come out AFTER he is no longer throwing a fit.
    Terrible two's are horrible, especially if not dealt with before the three's set in.
    Pacifiers are just that, a crutch ... like a drug! Be strong. You will both get through this!
    malindasb

Answer by malindasb at 1:17 AM on May. 22, 2009

• My dd is 2.5yrs and still uses one...I only give it to her at bed/nap time, she stills asks for it and I ask her "Are you in bed?" she'll say "no" then I'll tell her "then go play you can have it at bedtime" that works for us...She did just go through a thing with nightmares so I am letting that pass, then I plan to have her off it completely by age 3 if not a bit sooner..
    TatersMom2006

Answer by TatersMom2006 at 1:50 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I have one of "those" kids that is 3 and still sucks a passy. He uses it at night. Personally I don't care that he has it. Is SO insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I have a teenager so I know what real issues and real stress is and this is not one of them. I recently read in a web md magazine that a child can safely take a passy until permanent teeth come in. Wow. thats a long time and I don't plan on that but its good to know. I think that there are times when you have to block out all the others opinions and criticism and do what you want. So many times, people have an idea of what THEY think is okay or not okay and I will not let others opinions based on their own mindset dictate what goes on in my home. How silly is that? In addition to the passy, my FIL and dad want me to cut his hair, because "that boy needs a real haircut"...LOL. I laugh it off. Hes my last child and I will relish every moment of it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:44 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I totally disagree about putting him in time out for throwing a fit for a passy. Thats nonsense. If you decide that you don't want to give in, then thats your choice, but personally I think you are wanting someone to tell you that its okay for him to suck it because you arent ready to do it yet. I will do that for you...ITS OKAY. Leave him alone about it. Yes you will have to fight the battle eventually. Its just as bad now as it will be when hes 2, so if you decide to do it now, then just ignore the fussing. He will get over it, just like my child will get over it. If you choose to do it later, then the same goes. Its just a matter of making the choice to let it stay or go and really I have chosen to give him a bit more time. Also its fine to get creative on how to get rid of it. Kids respond to many different things. More than anything, I just want to see you make your own choice about whats best for you.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:49 AM on May. 22, 2009

• As soon as they start walking...

Answer by rkoloms at 11:07 AM on May. 22, 2009

• We got the paci down to just in the bed at 1.5 yrs. And, I mean literally in the bed only. It never left the crib. He had to spit it out before I would pick him up. If he reached for it while outside the crib, I would put him back in the crib. So, at 20 months we got him a toddler bed and the paci disappeared with the crib. The first few nights were rough and that was it. I know a few that have held on to a paci too long and now have speech therapy for a "lazy tongue" the swallowing and pronouncing of words were slerred due to learning a different way of swallowing spit with the paci in the mouth while learning to talk. So please be careful to not allow him/her to try talking while holding paci in mouth. GL
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 11:38 AM on May. 22, 2009

• my lil girl was off of hers at like 8 mo if not sooner i thor it away .. i was mad at my self for giveing it to her in the 1st place.. u know when babys come in the world they dont know what it is.. i would just take it away.. i know its hard put longer u wait the harded it will be .. good luck hun
    kaseysmom_07

Answer by kaseysmom_07 at 10:38 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I think that 18 mths. is young and they are still BABIES. Your child has plenty of time to let go of the paci. Between 2-3 (at night) is when most "paci-addcits" ;) let it go. Just do it slowly and DON'T do 2 things at once.. (e.g. moving to a toddler bed at the same time, potty training..etc.) They are only babies once. Enjoy this time and stop worrying about what other people have to say. This is YOUR child.
    Anonymous