Time-outs...little spankings. Whats the best way to disipline a soon to be 2 year old?

Disipline sounds so harsh for a 1 and 2 year but My son is stubborn. If he wants something...by gos he goes for it. I can say "no", "leave it alone", "dont do that", "Alex I said dont touch it"...and he will just look at me and do it anyways!! No matter what I do, he will keep going back to it. Ive tried time-outs, ive tried, little spankings...(not hard) , sitting him down and telling him no, and smaking his hand away. Nothing works. I try to explain things to him to satisfy his curiousity...and that makes it worse. So...what so I do to get my point across? I know he understands me, b/c he looks at me, and waits for me to look away. and its almost cute that he is getting smarter, but It scares me...lol

BrittanyShay

Asked by BrittanyShay at 12:39 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, whatever you do be consistant. If you put him in timeout tell him that you are putting him in timeout for 2 minutes for ______ behavior.
    Also, you might try using more positive words. Hands Off. Is easier to understand and remember then "dont touch" always try to be positive. "walking feet" instead of dont run.
    Also, try to use redirection. if he goes for something say "that's mommies. keep your hands off. Oh! but look. you can play with this over here." ...it wont always work, but it's always worth a shot. Makesure whatever you are redirecting him with is more interesting then what he was after.
    Also, with some things that are less dangerous, let him experience the consequences. give him a warning like "You might get hurt if you do that". And then when he gets hurt he'll understand, and if he doesnt get hurt he'll do it again ...until he does. Of course, only do that with less dangerous things.
    Good luck
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:47 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Are you kidding? We started disciplining at 9 or ten months; when "no, don't touch that" was ignored, we gave a baby time out; we would hold her in our lap with arms and legs immobilized and count backwards from 20; followed by another no, don't touch, and redirection. A little past two, we added: putting bankybay (her beloved blanket) in the closet. Around 2, we stared time out in the sad chair or sad corner. At around 3.5 we started reward charts for good behavior.
    When you strike another human (which is an act of violence), or spank a child, you are sending the message that sometimes violence is the solution to a problem; this may or may not fit your world view.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:11 AM on May. 22, 2009