What would YOU pay for a house/baby sitter?

So a friend of mine just came into town last weekend for the summer. She wasn't originally planning on coming, but one night she was really depressed in MN and just got in the car and drove!!!

It's great to see her... I'm glad she's here. However, she has no source of income and she's down to her last 50 bucks. I knew she needed the money so I offered her $400 to watch my two kids and dog this weekend so my husband and I could go up to t. We're letting her stay at our house and I just spent $200 on groceries for her and the kids to eat- Like, I went through the grocery store and she told me what she wanted... I just paid for it. $200 for four days

Anyways, so I'm paying her $400... and she wrote me a text last night saying that added up to less then $5 and hour. Okay, but she's STAYING AT MY HOUSE, EATING MY FOOD, USING MY UTLITIES AND HAVING FRIENDS OVER WHILE WE'RE AWAY...she's complaining. Am I being cheap?

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 12:55 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Sheesh I would do it for $400. Yes it is $400 and if you want to look at the as you working the entire time you are there (even when they are sleeping it may be $5/hour but it is also $5/hr tax free which is about $8/hour is you were being taxed. I have been down to my last $50 before and had someone offered me that I would have taken it and been thankful!
    AlexsMomAuburn

Answer by AlexsMomAuburn at 1:38 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Not to mention she's prolly gonna sleep in my bed. On top of that, my kids will be sleeping at night, and then they take good naps during the day.... so I don't really see the point in paying her while they sleep. However, I feel like she's ungreatful and while she didn't really ASK for more money, she said "Its less then $5 an hour, but I want you guys to have fun so I'll do it"... like she feels obligated. I know she had mentioned going down to Portland with some other friends of ours this weekend... but that's one day, and she wouldn't get paid for that... idk. I don't wanna ruin her weekend plans or anything, but I can't really afford to pay her more then that!! And I'm giving her the cash up front- plus the car seats so if she still wants to hit up Portland she can....

Don't get me wrong I totally love this girl to death and I trust her entirely with my house and kids.

By my math, she's getting damn near $10 an h
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 12:57 AM on May. 22, 2009

• And with her financial situation she has no room to complain... HOWEVER... what do you guys think? Am I being cheap? Should I give her more? It's Friday morning through Monday night.... what would YOU pay? What would you ask for? Is $100 a day too little?

livn4hevn

• Damn! I will do it for $400! Can you teach your friend the word Ungrateful? Does she intend on getting paid to sleep? My goodness. Down to her last $50 and she is still nitpicking. I say tell her never mind and see if she doesn't do it. BUT she might do a lusy job at it if she feels underpaid.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:03 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Wow that is being ungrateful, if I were down 2 my last $50 I know I'd do it 4 less than $400, I think u offered a more than generous amount considering she'll be in ur house with ur food and ur bed. And its not just whatever food u keep in ur house u let her pick what she wanted from the store.
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 1:39 AM on May. 22, 2009

• How many kids do you have? For one, that's an ok price. But 2 or more, or an infant, not enough. And is it the weekend or the 4 day holiday weekend. Then again 24/7 for 4 days no where near enough even for one child. Regardless if she's staying in your home or not. And you know her and trust her but do your children or are you leaving them with a stranger?
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 5:57 AM on May. 22, 2009