whats the difference between the MRI and the cat scan? do you have to hold your breath for any of them since its like an x-ray?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Health

• Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), medical imaging technique most commonly used in radiology to visualize the internal structure and function of the body. MRI provides much greater contrast between the different soft tissues of the body, making it especially useful in neurological (brain), musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, and oncological (cancer).

CT scans (Cat Scans) of internal organs, bone, soft tissue and blood vessels provide greater clarity and reveal more details than regular x-ray exams.

I've had both done a few times, and no you don't have to hold your breath!!!
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 1:51 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Funny you ask! I just got a CAT scan yesterday! LOL Yes you do have to hold your breath for a few seconds, I think at the most it was like 30 seconds.... Im not sure about an MRI though, I got one of those done a LONG time ago so Im not sure!
    But I did have to get Iodine pumped into me when I did the CAT scan, and OMG... I felt like I was gonna pass out and that I peed my pants...I didnt but I felt like it... they said that was normal! How odd is that!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:10 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I had to get a cat scan on my stomach... maybe with different parts of the body its different... Im just assuming that because Shiningstar said that when she did a CAT scan that she didnt have to hold her breath, but I sure had to hold my breath yesterday!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:13 AM on May. 22, 2009

• damn holding your breath for 30 seconds is scary thats a longtime! how did u do it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 22, 2009