Raising the baby up christian/wiccan?

I am a mutt of religions following principles of many religions ( mostly taoism, with a little buddahism and wiccan) although I was raised up christian and I am expected to raise the baby christian by my family, I would have normally done that until I married my husband, a devoted wiccan. I don't know how to tell my family I want the baby to make up it's mind for itself as me and my husband decided to and I am worried if I let my grandmother watch it the baby will come back tainted...Idk, what do you think?

.carrie.

Asked by .carrie. at 1:04 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My family has a problem with the fact that we're not baptizing or indoctrinating my daughter. I told them to buzz off. I am Pagan and my husband isn't really anything, and we don't intend on brainwashing our children to believe one way or another.

Just tell your family that it's okay to talk about it with your child, but not to tell them that it's the only way or about hell or that they will go there because they aren't Christian (because that scares ALL children). Make sure that when your little one comes home you talk about what they learned and YOU be the first to tell them about Christianity and all other world religions. That way when Grandma says "Chrisitianity is the only true faith" your child will say "Nuh huh! Mom said all faiths are true!" :p
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:14 AM on May. 22, 2009

• if that happens dont let her watch them, if they dont respect your wishes and INTENTIONALLY going against what you didnt want her to do then she loses visitation priveleges lol TRUST me this method worked for my MIL pulled this crap and after a week she was crawling back appologizing
    collegemom1007

Answer by collegemom1007 at 1:07 AM on May. 22, 2009

• It's up to you and your husband how you raise your child, not your family's.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:09 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Tainted? Like "exposed" to a belief system? Your choice is to let the child decide for themself, yet you don't want the baby to learn about other faiths?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I think she means tainted by having one or the other shoved down baby's throat. Let them know that they are not welcome to push beleifs upon your child or they will not be trusted to be alone with him/her.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:16 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I think you should both teach your kids your beliefs. Let them choose for themselves which they want to follow. And it might not even be the choices that you or your husband made!

This is just coming from what my SO, and I personally decided to do. As we both have religious differences.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 1:24 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Thank you all for your answers.
    .carrie.

Answer by .carrie. at 2:06 AM on May. 22, 2009