How do I put my son down for a nap when he has been napping in my arms for months?

My son is nearly three months old and I love holding him, even when he's napping, but now anytime I try to put him in his crib he wakes up....

Suza_Q

Asked by Suza_Q at 1:18 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put him down before he is asleep and sooth him while he is in his crib... by "ssshhh" ing or singing, patting his tummy or rubbing his head... whatever calms him.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:26 AM on May. 22, 2009

• You could just sleep next to him or put hi, in a sling til he's ready to sleep on his own.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:01 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I say try putting him down in your bed, and laying with him until he falls back asleep. Definitely get him used to sleeping on his own, or it's going to get tougher later!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:10 AM on May. 22, 2009

Which could mean 4 years old!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on May. 22, 2009

• i did the same thing! she still gets mad sometimes when i put her down, but if i let her cry for just a minute or two, shes much easier to calm down. itll be hard at first cause hes not used to it, but after a few days he wont fuss much. i would pick him up to comfort him at the beginning, because hell be so used to it that he probably wont calm down otherwise. when i first started putting her in her crib to nap, i would let her fall into a really deep sleep before i put her down, but in some ways that made it worse. when she woke up later and realized she was somewhere different she would completely freak. now i put her down when shes almost asleep. its hard at first, but take your time with it, after all, hes never gonna be that age again. eventually you both will get to where youre comfortable with him sleeping in his crib or in your arms. at least, thats how my daughter is.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 3:48 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I put my daughter (9mo.) to sleep in my arms for naps and bedtime but as soon as she's asleep I put her in her crib and always have, sometimes she wakes up and fusses but then I just rub her back and she falls right back asleep. It will take some getting used to but it'll be worth it in the end!!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 9:42 AM on May. 22, 2009

• You just have to keep trying. He will cry in the beginning and it may take weeks, but eventually he'll sleep on his own. Around 8 weeks, I started making sure my daughter went into her crib or chair for naps. In the beginning, she cried every time, but after a few weeks (she's determined), she just got used to it. She still has her moments where she wakes up crying, but they are less than when we started.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on May. 22, 2009

• let him cry. it sucks, but he will eventually fall asleep. that, or once he gets tired, dont even start holding him, just put him in bed and leave the room. if he is still crying in 15 mins, check to make sure he is ok, pat his back, and leave again. he'll wear himself out eventually. tough love :) but it works.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:28 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I agree anon 322. It's rare that a child will just leave his parents bed to go sleep in his own bed. RARE.

You may have to try sleeping NEXT to him for a week or so, then SITTING next to him while he sleeps. Then STANDING in the room while he sleeps, eventually not being in the room at all. Give it plenty of time-it could take a month or two. You've got lots of time.
    Anonymous

• It's sad that the main concern is how hard it is on the parents versus what's good for the baby.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:58 PM on May. 22, 2009