Is there a way to teach your toddler to chew his food?

My son is 16 months old... he just swallows everything whole. I have tried showing him how I chew my food, but he then he just laughs at me! lol

isamari

Asked by isamari at 1:47 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• cut it in small pieces
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on May. 22, 2009

• i do.
    isamari

Answer by isamari at 2:08 AM on May. 22, 2009

• my son shovels his food in his mouth - if i cut them up in small pcs - I have to offer only 1 or 2 pcs at a time - he's always been a choker - hes going on 19 months now and the last month I started honey, you have to cehw chew chew your food and I show him what I am doing = it took some time for him to "get it" but he did - he'll still shovel the food in if offered it all at once though -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:05 AM on May. 22, 2009

• my 2 year old did this bad.. i was like ok time to stop when she all most died.. i put food on a plate for her and let her have it and if she started to not chew i would take it a way... over and over and then she got that if she wanted to eat she had to chew ...
    kaseysmom_07

Answer by kaseysmom_07 at 10:31 PM on May. 22, 2009