This question might be really stupid... don't be mean

I was just wondering if, when adopting, you can choose a race? For example, I really want to adopt an Asian child someday... Korean or Japanese... because I am really fascinated with the culture and people there. But I don't want to adopt from the actual country because I have read that it is much more difficult than adopting in the States. So can you choose an Asian child in the US??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Adoption

• I think when you are adopting a child you can tell the agency your preferance....doesnt' mean it will work out but you can ask.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on May. 22, 2009

• i dont know sweetie but it is not a dumb question and if ppl are rude they are just dumb asses! =]
    firsttimemommy

Answer by firsttimemommy at 2:16 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Im not sure either, but I too agree, that its not a dumb question! I wish that I could help you... sorry!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:19 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Yes, you can request a certain nationality. You may change your mind if they are not available.
    grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 2:19 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I am not sure. That is a good question for a adoption counsellor. But ya might want to phrase it differently. I am sure you didn't mean it this way, but the way it came across was like picking a breed of pet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on May. 22, 2009

• thanks everyone!

Yeah, I wasn't really sure how to word it properly!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Yes, you can. If you adopt through the foster care system, they will probably call you for other races and you will have to turn them down or change your mind and accept another nationality. If you want a birthmother to find you, you could create a profile and state that you are interested in parenting a child of Asian descent. If you sign up with an agency, they will give you calls about Asian children. You may want to look further into adopting from another country if it doesn't work out in the states, the program depends on the country and its policies.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:40 AM on May. 22, 2009

• You can, but you very rarely see Asian American children available in foster care - or Asian American mothers placing babies for adoption via domestic infant here in the US. The Asian American population is only about 5% of the total number of US residents, so this explains much of that. International adoption is not "harder" than adopting here in the US. It is merely a different process and is very comparable in cost to domestic infant, and sometimes much less costly.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I have to disagree that there aren't Asian American babies available in foster care (maybe not as many as others, but they are there). My friend just adopted last year a Korean American little boy. And yes you can choose what race you prefer, but you'll never know what child will touch your heart. If you have a heart to help another person have a better life, then check into the foster care system in your area. And, it's not a dumb question at all.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:53 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I have to disagree that international adoption is comparable in cost with domestic infant. That may be true in some cases, but our first agency adoption cost $5000 plus legal expenses (Catholic Charities). Some friends of ours adopted internationally and it cost $30,000 per adoption (part of that was the cost of traveling and being off work). When choosing an agency (if you go that route), you might run into things like age limits and minimums for how long you've been married. Some require that you are involved with a church and will ask for a pastor's reference. The only way to be sure you can adopt a child from a certain nationality is to do international adoption. It is complicated, but they will walk you through it. If you can afford it, just follow their instructions and you will do fine.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:42 AM on May. 22, 2009