• In the Spotlight:

Could you pump an unconscious woman's breast to get milk for her baby?

I have no idea what made me think of this but say a breastfeeding woman was knocked unconscious and had to go to a hospital in temporary coma. Could you pump her breast to get milk for her baby? If so, would a hospital let you do such (if you were the next of kin)? I imagine, even if you could not do it for the benefit of the baby, something would have to be done to prevent her getting engorged. Would they give her a pill to dry her up? Then, what if she woke up shortly after, enraged that they had done so?

Bellarose0212

Asked by Bellarose0212 at 2:26 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Possible yes and you could go one step further and actully hold the baby on to latch if you really want to make sure you keep her supply up. As to whether they would let you probably not, but maybe if you had a docs prescription saying the child had to have breastmilk for some reason or something of the sort.

If you were only unconsious for a few days you would still be producing milk (provided they didn't shot you up with something to dry you up) and could easily relactate, but it would still piss me off that I had to go through that because of some stupid medical "professional" who wouldn't let my DH pump my milk for LO.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:28 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I thought I thought of stange things sometimes.
    But you make me feel not so weird anymore. [:

That is an interesting thought. Curious as to what others will say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on May. 22, 2009

• This is the most bizzare thing I have seen on CM
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I don't know if they would allow it as far as the legal or ethical ramifications, but as far as was it possible - I'm sure it is. The reason I think so is because making milk is not a conscious decision, it's something your body does naturally. (Not to offend anyone, because I nursed, so I don't mean this as a negative comparison, but sort of like how even if you were unconscious or in a coma, your body would still continue to produce urine...)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:34 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I agree, but its great at the same time. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Wow, I thought of the most bizarre thing. Do I get an award?
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:36 AM on May. 22, 2009

• LOL Im not sure I would want to be handeling some womans unconscience boobies- what if she were to wake up and your like holding her boobies getting ready to pump, gave her a heart attack or something!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 2:44 AM on May. 22, 2009

• For the record, I would totally want this done, especially if I had a really young newborn infant. It would be terrible if you were in a short coma (say two or three days) and then you have to give your child formula when you could have nursed because someone in the hospital decided to dry you up. Still, I doubt that would be what was on my husband's or mother's mind at the time. I read a story once about a woman who had pumped and stored so much milk in her freezer that when she died, her family was able to feed her baby for a year! I definitely don't have that much, but I have some back up milk, in case of emergency.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:44 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Ur an interesting person, im sure its possible if the person is only unconscience and not dead
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 2:44 AM on May. 22, 2009

• LMAO @ Judith! I sort of pictured it would be the next of kin doing it, husband or partner.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:45 AM on May. 22, 2009